Views
Helpful
Replies

Best way of spanning traffic from ports to remote DC's N7Ks

Bilal Nawaz
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hello Team,

I have a site where many voice gateways are going to be located with ISDN30's in place. We need to span the traffic from these ports/vlan to remote DC's (to DC1 and DC2) to a particular VLAN or port (worst case scenario). The remote location consists of 4506E in VSS [the VG's will connect in to here] with 2 ASR 1002x's for WAN with 1 gb point to point links to DC1 and DC2.

In DC1 and DC2 are N7K's - from where the point to point come in to WAN VDC, the traffic needs to go to the LAN VDC to a VM. The LAN and WAN vdc's have L3 connectivity (OSPF)

What are the best ways of doing this...? I was starting to think OTV, however this may not work when spanning to a vlan - I haven't tried - will this work. Of course the solution will have to have resilience so spanning traffic to both DC1 and 2. I have done pseudo-wire before in another setup to accomplish this however this is different in that we may need to span to a vlan.

Thank you

Bilal

Please rate useful posts & remember to mark any solved questions as answered. Thank you.
2 Replies 2

Robert Falconer
Level 1
Level 1

Have you looked at ERSPAN? Will that satisfy what you're trying to do?

Hello, I had already looked in to this, unfortunately won't work, since the requirement is to span to a vlan destination. We end up using dedicated expensive ports for erspan and other solutions so we've decided to keep the recording servers locally at site and every so often FTP to the DC. 

Thanks for replying though

Please rate useful posts & remember to mark any solved questions as answered. Thank you.
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card