cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Best way to implement VTP to already configured switches?

Sean McQuade
Level 5
Level 5

Hi guys,

I have a site with 2 core switches and then about 20 edge switches hanging off this. At the minute all the VLANs are statically assigned on each switch but customer wants to implement VTP. The way I was going to go about this was to:

• Set all the edge switches to mode transparent
  • Configure VTP domain and version on the core switches
  • Configure VTP domain and version on the edge switches, then set mode to client

I assume I can also set both core switches as VTP server without issues so VLAN information will still be available in the event of a switch failure? They both have an indentical VLAN list at the minute so doesn't really matter which one has a higher RC and propogates.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Latchum Naidu
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Sean,

The plan what you have is looks good.
But why you want go with VTP I would highly recommend keep the edge switches in transperant mode I sean lot of outages due to VTP.
If it is highly concern then you are good to go with your plan.

Apart from your plan make sure the configuration revision number on the edge ones lesser than core. of course this may not cause anything as long as you kept them in transperant mode but just wanted to make sure everything is taken place before causing any issues.

Please rate the helpfull posts.

Regards,
Naidu.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Latchum Naidu
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Sean,

The plan what you have is looks good.
But why you want go with VTP I would highly recommend keep the edge switches in transperant mode I sean lot of outages due to VTP.
If it is highly concern then you are good to go with your plan.

Apart from your plan make sure the configuration revision number on the edge ones lesser than core. of course this may not cause anything as long as you kept them in transperant mode but just wanted to make sure everything is taken place before causing any issues.

Please rate the helpfull posts.

Regards,
Naidu.

Hi Naidu - I agree. I implemented the original install and chose not to use VTP, but the customer will be providing management and first line support through their own IT team and they want to have a central point of administration for VLANs going forward.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The  Author of this posting offers the information contained within this  posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that  there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.  Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not  be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In  no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,  without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

VTP clients also share their VLAN database, so before flipping a transparent mode to client mode you may want to insure your current revision is > 1.

To make VTP a little more difficult to accidentally break you might also want to consider using VTP passwords or VTP version 3.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card