Views
Helpful
Replies

BGP address-family ipv4

egeorgopoulos
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

How can someone remove "address-family ipv4" from a bgp configuration without affecting the bgp peering. In other words, the "address-family ipv4" was added to the router bgp config, and it changed a bit the outline of the configuration. For example the below conf was initially setup:

router bgp 1000

neighbor x.x.x.x remote-as 5555

neighbor x.x.x.x timers 10 30 30

neighbor x.x.x.x soft-reconfiguration inbound

neighbor x.x.x.x route-map ROUTE_MAP_IN in

neighbor x.x.x.x route-map ROUTE_MAP_OUT out

neighbor y.y.y.y remote-as 4444

neighbor y.y.y.y update-source Loopback0

neighbor y.y.y.y version 4

neighbor y.y.y.y next-hop-self

neighbor y.y.y.y send-community

neighbor y.y.y.y soft-reconfiguration inbound

and when the "address-family ipv4" was activated, it changed the bgp configuration completely:

router bgp 1000

neighbor x.x.x.x remote-as 5555

neighbor x.x.x.x timers 10 30 30

neighbor y.y.y.y remote-as 4444

neighbor y.y.y.y update-source Loopback0

neighbor y.y.y.y version 4

!

address-family ipv4

neighbor x.x.x.x activate

neighbor x.x.x.x soft-reconfiguration inbound

neighbor x.x.x.x route-map ROUTE_MAP_IN in

neighbor x.x.x.x route-map ROUTE_MAP_OUT out

neighbor y.y.y.y activate

neighbor y.y.y.y send-community

neighbor y.y.y.y next-hop-self

neighbor y.y.y.y soft-reconfiguration inbound

How can I revert it to the previous state without affecting the BGP peers? Because if I remove the "address-family ipv4", the bgp connections will be torn off affecting the connectivity.

Thank you in advance.

3 Replies 3

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

I don't believe there is any way to do this without effecting your peering with the neighbor router.  In addition I would have an outage window to do this even if it could be done without it.  There is too much at risk doing this without an outage window.

HTH

Hello,

I agree with Reza. However, functionally, this configuration is not in any way different to the "simpler" configuration. In fact, if you ran the bgp upgrade-cli command it would produce exactly this style of configuration which is, by the way, more clean as to what exact protocol families you speak to your neighbors. Although it is perhaps more tedious to configure in the first place, this is the style of BGP configuration that should be deployed in the new configurations. I would personally not try to revert back at all.

Oh, by the way, I see you are using the Soft Inbound reconfiguration. That is a huge waste of your resources. All BGP implementations today support the Dynamic Route Refresh functionality by default, without needing any additional configuration. Using the soft-reconfiguration inbound command, you are defeating that advantage, and instead, you are reverting back to the style of maintaining an unfiltered and filtered copy of your BGP database. I strongly suggest removing the soft reconfig commands from your configuration - they do not help, quite the contrary.

Best regards,

Peter

Hi Peter,

I didn't know about this command bgp upgrade-cli, gonna give you a 5 for this useful info 

Regards.

Alain

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: