Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

BGP and configuration help

Ok, with your help, I have decided I need to go with BGP. I have looked over a link that was sent to me about configuring BGP for multihomed router for two separate ISPs. But the configuration only shows the one router. I actually have control over one of the other routers, and Im not sure how to go about configuring it for BGP. Im confused because Im not sure what routes it will advertise. I was thinking it should just be a default route, but Im thinking that isnt right either. Anyone know of a config example where it might show both sides, client side and ISP connected router as well? Both of these routers are on the client side of the network. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

4 REPLIES

Re: BGP and configuration help

Friend,

When you multihome to 2 different service providers, it is best to receive only a default route from both the ISP and limit your advertisement to your IP block.

Thus you will be protected from becoming a transit domain between the 2 ISP.

HTH, rate if it does

Narayan

Using only a default route can be good and bad. Its simple, but if you are only trying to mitigate against becoming a transit there are other ways to do this. In most cases using only a default route with multiple ISP's with give unoptimal route selection.

Nick

I found that already. It doesnt say anything about the ISP router configs.

Views
Helpful
Replies