cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

BGP configuration Verification Please-need to turnup today!

m-abooali
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

I have come up with two BGP configuration for two border routers 6506 with two different ISPs, Multihomed. I have made it to recice default routes from both ISPs and advertise our blocks out to them and do load sharing at the same time plus redundancy in the event one ISp connection is down.

I have attched both files with the IPs half deleted! My time is very short, i.e. tomorrow or just today (Its 4:15 a.m. now!) and need to see if I have done alright. I have used IP prefix-list.

Also, I have a block with /21 mask and /20 mask and blocks with /20 and /19 (which is good for redundancy) I don't know if I have to break the /21 or it is OK as I have already listed in the Ip prefix-list statements.

/20 must be a sub-set of /21 and this is how Ihave thought about it!

Please advise.

Regards,

Mike

17 Replies 17

that is exactly the case!

It seems that they had two engineers who started this project, purchased used equipment and just put them on the floor of a datacenter, then, they get rebelious with the new director not accepting new changes and leave. They did not put any documents behind.

I had to find all the servers on various non-contibous IP subnets, on a purely Falt network and create documents, then craeted vlans on two new 6509s and now connecting 4x 6506s in two sites separated via an IP dark Fiber Transit!

I had to configure MUXs and these 4 6506s, two for BGO and all 4 for EIGRP terminating L3 at the 6506s and pure L2 on 6509s!! all in last 10 days. Now, I have to make sure all works by Sunday which is the Cut-over date to this new Infrastructure.

I have one delima though and You might be able to help me out on it.

current core switch, 2 Cisco 5500, RJ 21 and I need to move customers from the 5500 onto the two 6509s and I need to have an ISL trunk between one of the 5500s to one of the 6509s just in case the new netwrok doesn't work or in case one ohe of the fiber pairs to the Internet isn't ready by Sunday, then use one link using new netwrok (BGP to Abovenet) and one of the current OC3s. the traffic has to pass to the 5500 via the ISL trunk or if not trunk, may be a L3 link between my 6506 an dthe current core or border router (I rather do it in L3 between one 6506 and the current core or border routers).

can I have your thoughs on this? i don't know if I was able to explian what the gane plan is and I am alone!

If i wanted to use or create a L3 link where traffic from new netwrok travel over to the current netwrok, can I make one of the current/production routers, core or border (talks BGP to two providers, UUnet and SAVVIS) part of the EIGRP and make this happen? just don't like to do it in L2 using an ISL trunk!

regards,

Masood

Greetings,Victor,

I have another question based on my observations after these two circuits came up. We noticed that the traffic only flows through border 1 router to abovenet and nothing through border 2 to Internap (our second provder). I was under the impression that with this BGP configuration and the way I have advertised my prefixex, i,e. /21 and /20 on the link to ABovenet and /20 and /19 on the link to Internap, I iwll have both load sharing and redundancy!?? but this dodn't happen and no traffic flow through the link on the border 2 router?

Have I missied anything here?

Also, is there a better way to receive default and partial routes from both the providers than only specifying the 0/0, the eyeball?

Please advise.

Regards,

Masood

I am trying to understand the following statement:

"Also, make sure you have routes, matching the network statements, that are installed in the RIB"

does it mean, the network statement must mtch the Prefixes and also should have the static routes for those blocks to Null0?

or I am missing something?

Regards,

Mike

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: