Views
Helpful
Replies

BGP distance of 80

rdauman24pb
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

On 2 different pairs of BGP WAN routers I am seeing something unusual in the "show ip protocols" and would like some help....

For both pairs of routers I am seeing the same "problem," so I will just relay what is happening on one pair.

When I look at the routing information sources under "show ip protocols" for Router B I see the EBGP source with a distance of 20 and the IBGP source with a distance of 200. However, when I look at Router A the EBGP source is listed as 20, but the IBGP source, which is is Router B, shows a distance of 80.

I am not sure what this indicates, as I have never seen 80 before. This is exactly the same case on the other pair of WAN routers I have (the B router shows 20/200 and the A router shows 20/80).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Rob

3 Replies 3

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Rob,

this is the effect of an explicit configuration action performed by someone with the target to have iBGP routes preferred over IGP routes.

you should find a distance command inside router bgp config on routers that have the modified AD.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Hello Giuseppe,

I checked for the distance command on both pair routers and there is none. Also, only one side is showing the distance of 80, while the other side (the IBGP neighbor) is showing 200.

Thanks.

Rob

dclark
Level 1
Level 1

Would it possible to post your configs

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card