Views
Helpful
Replies

BGP , MED how to disable MED comparison

sarahr202
Level 5
Level 5

Hi everybody

I hope you are doing fine.    I really miss this forum that taught me so much .(Very busy with new job)

Please consider the following scenario:

sarah1#show version

Cisco Internetwork Operating System Software

IOS (tm) s72033_rp Software (s72033_rp-ADVIPSERVICESK9_WAN-M), Version 12.2(18)SXF14, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

Technical Support:

http://www.cisco.com/techsupport

Copyright (c) 1986-2008 by cisco Systems, Inc.

Compiled Thu 08-May-08 00:57 by kellythw

Image text-base: 0x40101040, data-base: 0x42DD6E90

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

sarah1#show ip bgp | include 10.0.0.0/8

Network          Next Hop            Metric LocPrf Weight Path

i >10.0.0.0/8   1.1.1.1        2418    100      0 64513 64514 i
*              2.2.2.2        10955            0 64513  64514 i

Above, we have same weight, same local pref, same AS path, the next tie breaker is MED.

Above lower 2418 is preffered and thus the path through 1.1.1.1 is chosen over 2.2.2.2

I want  my router to prefer the path through 2.2.2.2   I do not want to manipulate any other attributes. If we disable this MED comparison the next tie breaker will be ebgp over ibgp which will cause my router to choose 2.2.2.2

The question is how do i disable this med comparison?

Thanks and have a great day

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Sarah

Been a long time since i spoke to you. I have only just come back to the forum myself. 

So what is the new job, a networking one ?

As for your question i'm not sure there is a way to disable MED. You can choose to ignore it but to do that you would need to modify one of the attributes used before MED in the best path selection which you said we are not allowed to do

Jon

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Sarah

Been a long time since i spoke to you. I have only just come back to the forum myself. 

So what is the new job, a networking one ?

As for your question i'm not sure there is a way to disable MED. You can choose to ignore it but to do that you would need to modify one of the attributes used before MED in the best path selection which you said we are not allowed to do

Jon

Hi Jon.

It has been over 3 years I spoke to you. The last time I spoke to you when I was leaving for boot camp when I joined the army. Thanks to you and other peoples such as Giseppe, Reza, Edison, and Peter Palauch, I was not able to get my CCNP but also a good job with one of the largest service providers in US.

I am still learning a lot of stuff.  Since we so diverse platform I am busy learning at my new job. 

Thanks for your reply.

Hope to see quite often on this forum.

Have a grat evening.

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Sarah,
Hope you are found well!!
Long time no hear. Glad you are busy with the new job
Good to hear from you

Reza

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: