Replies

BGP Query plz help

shaila_rox
Level 1
Level 1

hi guys, i have a very basic scenario of BGP load balancing

router A serial 0 to router B Serial 0

router A serial 1 to router B serial 1

Now i have configured loopback interfaces on both routers to be used for update-source command, i m not going into their detail, wat i want to ask is that in this case BGP updates will be send via both links ( load balancing) is there a possible way that i may force BGP to use serial 0 as a primary link and use s 1 only if s 0 fails ???

i know abt the backup interface command so is there any other way to do it ???? plz tell

thanks in advance

4 Replies 4

CSCO10892433
Level 4
Level 4

Hi, shaila

Yes, there is a way you can do this.

On router A, create two static routes as follows

ip route loopback-address-of-B mask serial0

ip route loopback-address-of-B mask serial1 210

On router B, you do the same thing

ip route loopback-address-of-A mask serial0

ip route loopback-address-of-A mask serial1 210

The route to the neighbor's loopback address will go onto serial0(and hence, the BGP updates will go onto serial0 only) . Once the serial0 goes down, it will turn to serial1.

HTH

SSLIN

Thank u very much, something was clicking in my head tht i know lol, but again thank u very much

Hi Shaila,

See we can do also by that way.... if you are pointing loopback to nexp hop router... it will get AD - 1

and pointing to local interface it will get AD-0. Okie

So, point to Serial-1 with nexp hop ip address. and serial-0 as it is.

Regards,

Dharmesh

thanks for ur feedback, at first i really got confused how to do it, thanks to u guys thanks alot

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card