cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

BGP Query

Richardsma
Level 1
Level 1

I have a pair of 6513's each connected to the same ISP via POS. Occasionally I see the attached messages in the logs and not being very comfortable with BGP I'm not too sure about who's not speaking to who!

Is the ISP dropping connection or are the two 6513's not keeping each other updated?

2 Replies 2

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

I assume that R1 and R2 have a BGP peering to each other and that this peering flaps occassionally.

It seems to me that the BGP keepalive messages are somehow not passed properly between your routers. The R1 obviously decides that the R2 has not reported itself for too long so it sends it a notification message to inform it about closing the session. The R2 receives this notification and closes the session, too. After a couple of seconds, both peers create a new connection.

Is there anything special in the BGP configuration of your routers, especially regarding keepalive or holdtime values? Also, is it possible that the load on your routers is excessive? That could theoretically cause the routers to miss the keepalive messages.

Best regards,

Peter

Thanks for that, I'll check out the keepalives.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card