cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

BIA MAC Address vs Alias MAC Address

vlad.vlaicu
Level 1
Level 1

If you make an alias for your computer's MAC address, the Cisco switch will learn the avertised MAC and in parenthesis you will also see the BIA MAC Address. How does it detect the BIA Address?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Vlad,

I have the impression that you got confused with something else 

when you change the local address of a host (which by default use the BIA of the NIC or port ASIC for switches and routers) that is the only source MAC address which will be used on all L2 frames sent by that host.

So a Cisco switch can only learn such source MAC address and will not be able to determine if it is a 'forged' one or a BIA. A port might learn multiple MAC addresses anyway, one being a BIA and one being a local address (or alias as you defined it) used by another host or some application or protocol.

Feel free to attach an output showing a different behavior.

Riccardo

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

rsimoni
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

can you attach some outputs showing that please?

from what I remember the bia in parenthesis shows up when you change a local interface mac addresses, but I don't recall any output from cam showing both addresses for a connected device.

Riccardo

Unfortunately, I don't have a real Cisco equipment, only GNS3 where it seems i cannot reproduce. But I remember doing it in a lab environment once.

Hi Vlad,

I have the impression that you got confused with something else 

when you change the local address of a host (which by default use the BIA of the NIC or port ASIC for switches and routers) that is the only source MAC address which will be used on all L2 frames sent by that host.

So a Cisco switch can only learn such source MAC address and will not be able to determine if it is a 'forged' one or a BIA. A port might learn multiple MAC addresses anyway, one being a BIA and one being a local address (or alias as you defined it) used by another host or some application or protocol.

Feel free to attach an output showing a different behavior.

Riccardo

You are right. I was confusing it with the output of "sh int". Rockie mistake

Router#sh  int f0/0 

FastEthernet0/0 is up, line protocol is up

Hardware is Gt96k FE, address is c000.09d0.0000 (bia c000.09d0.0000)

Internet address is 12.12.12.1/24

MTU 1500 bytes, BW 10000 Kbit, DLY 1000 usec,

reliability 255/255, txload 1/255, rxload 1/255

Encapsulation ARPA, loopback not set

Keepalive set (10 sec)

Since we brought up, how do you make the two addresses be different?

Hi,

enter interface configuration and type mac-address xxxx.xxxx.xxxx

Regards.

Alain

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.

that is the one.

Vlad can you please close and rate this question?

thanks

Riccardo

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card