cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

boot config

alan-wong
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,  In my router.  I have following config file startup from flash:startup-config.  As I know config file should store in NVRAM.  evertime i save config with "wr mem".  May I know when I "wr mem", is that saving config will auto save in flash:start-config or I need to copying start-config to flash when everytime I do "wr mem"?

boot-start-marker

boot config flash:startup-config

boot-end-marker

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

flash:startup-config

You're trying to re-invent the wheel (to a square one) and I wouldn't recommend it.  Here's why:

1.  "startup-config" in a router is stored in the NVRAM;

2.  Saving your "startup-config" in you Flash is dangerous because if you loose your flash because it's faulty -- your method means you are putting all your "eggs" in one basket.  You have your router's config and your IOS in one big location.  Dangerous.  Very.

Exactly what are you trying to do, Alan?

View solution in original post

When administrator save the config file will also update flash:startup-config?

No.

and how do I check NVRAM contain any config file or not?

Command is "dir nvram:".

Change the config and save the config.

Compare the time and date of the startup-config file in your flash if it has changed.

Again, what are you trying to do?

when I #dir nvram  (I saw startup-config file)

when I #show flash (I saw startup-config file

So, which one the router using and keep updating?

Confused?  You should be.  Like I said in my first post, you are re-inventing a wheel.  A square wheel.  I really don't see the logic to what you are doing.  You are not "tuning up all your config".  You are just adding another layer of fluff.

Look at the date of the startup-config in the flash memory.  Does the time and date change?  IF no, then the router did the right thing and updated the startup-config file in the NVRAM. 

NOTE:  There's something you are not tellling me/us.  If you want to be secretive then there's a strong chance I can't help you.

12 Replies 12

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

When you do "wr mem" or simply "wr", you save the config.  Period.

yes, but i would like to know is my config file in flash:startup-config will save or update when I save the config?

or i need to copy to flash each time when I save the config?

No it does not save it to flash too , you would have to do that separetly .

flash:startup-config

You're trying to re-invent the wheel (to a square one) and I wouldn't recommend it.  Here's why:

1.  "startup-config" in a router is stored in the NVRAM;

2.  Saving your "startup-config" in you Flash is dangerous because if you loose your flash because it's faulty -- your method means you are putting all your "eggs" in one basket.  You have your router's config and your IOS in one big location.  Dangerous.  Very.

Exactly what are you trying to do, Alan?

Yes Leo. you are correct.  It is default setting from my company router

but my i know if "flash:startup-config" applied in the router.  When administrator save the config file will also update flash:startup-config?

When administrator save the config file will also update flash:startup-config?

No.

Command is "dir nvram:".

Change the config and save the config.

Compare the time and date of the startup-config file in your flash if it has changed.

Again, what are you trying to do?

try to review and tune up all config thx Leo

Confused?  You should be.  Like I said in my first post, you are re-inventing a wheel.  A square wheel.  I really don't see the logic to what you are doing.  You are not "tuning up all your config".  You are just adding another layer of fluff.

Look at the date of the startup-config in the flash memory.  Does the time and date change?  IF no, then the router did the right thing and updated the startup-config file in the NVRAM. 

NOTE:  There's something you are not tellling me/us.  If you want to be secretive then there's a strong chance I can't help you.

thank you very much Leo.  I got it.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: