cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Boot up on router 871w error

timt976
Level 1
Level 1

not sure why when i try to boot up the router i get this output. ëû {kïëûk{ ûëû{{{kk { {ûû{{ûk û ïë mÏ

i have attach a screen shot of the out put.

i have tried resetting the router

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

timmy

The kind of output that you posted is typically a sign that there is a speed mismatch between your terminal emulation software (something like Hyperterm) and the console port speed. Sundar points out the typical or default speed setting for the terminal emulation software. And I agree that speed setting of the terminal emulation is the most common cause of this. But if your terminal emulation is set to 9600 there is also the possibility that the console speed of the router may be set differently which would also cause this problem. The speed of the console is set in the config-register and can vary from 1200, 2400, 4800, 9600, up to 115K. If setting your terminal emulation to 9600 does not solve the problem then I suggest that you set it to the various speeds until you find one where you get readable output. Note that with some terminal emulation (especially Hyperterm) you may need to disconnect and reconnect (or stop and start the software) for it to pick up the new speed.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Do you have the following settings on the hyperterminal?

Bits per sec : 9600

Data bits : 8

Parity : none

Stop bits : 1

Flow control : none

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk801/tk36/technologies_tech_note09186a0080094465.shtml

HTH

Sundar

timmy

The kind of output that you posted is typically a sign that there is a speed mismatch between your terminal emulation software (something like Hyperterm) and the console port speed. Sundar points out the typical or default speed setting for the terminal emulation software. And I agree that speed setting of the terminal emulation is the most common cause of this. But if your terminal emulation is set to 9600 there is also the possibility that the console speed of the router may be set differently which would also cause this problem. The speed of the console is set in the config-register and can vary from 1200, 2400, 4800, 9600, up to 115K. If setting your terminal emulation to 9600 does not solve the problem then I suggest that you set it to the various speeds until you find one where you get readable output. Note that with some terminal emulation (especially Hyperterm) you may need to disconnect and reconnect (or stop and start the software) for it to pick up the new speed.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

yes this resolved my issue. I have always thought by default it was set to 9600 on the router. When I reset the router it went back to 115k.

thanks everyone

timmy

I am glad that my suggestion did help resolve your problem. The speed of the console port is controlled by the config-register (and some models of router also had a speed command under console configuration which would set the console speed). The default speed is 9600. If you reload the router and it goes to 115K then someone has altered the config register (or is your router one that has the speed command under the console configuration?). In my experience the main reason that someone would set the console speed up like that is if they were going to transfer an image over the console using xmodem.

Now that you know how to communicate with the router (set your emulator to 115K) are you satisfied? Or would you like to get the console speed back to 9600 so that it matches the standard default (and possibly is consistent with other routers and switches that you may access)? If you post the configuration of the console and post the value of config-register (it shows up at the bottom of the output of show version) then we can advise what and how to change.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Configuration register is 0x2102. I have changed it back to 9600. Now I just need to figure out how I can get the Enterprise IOS for this router since I can't download IOS.

Rick thanks again for your help. Its been about 2 years since I worked on any cisco equipment. I just bought this router for my house to brush up on knowledge. If you dont use it you loose it.

timmy

I certainly agree that if you do not use it then you will lose it. Best wishes as you get back into using Cisco gear. I am glad that my answers helped you to correctly identify and solve your problem. Thank you for using the rating system to indicate that your problem was resolved (and thanks for the rating). It makes the forum more useful when people can read about a problem and can know that they will read a successful resolution of the problem.

The forum is an excellent place to learn about Cisco networking. I encourage you to continue your participation in the forum.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card