cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Breaking into a Cisco 2900 XL Switch <SOLVED>

ken_ulrich
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, I am not sure if this is the right category, or right place to post.

I am not sure if this is an issue with the Switch or the HyperTerminal.

I am trying to break into a Cisco 2900 XL Switch due to not knowing the password for Enable mode.

HyperTerminal

I keep looking on Cisco, along with Google Searches about the Break In Command.

It appears that After a certian point I am suppose to press the CTRL+Break to stop the Flash from loading in the Switch..

I have tried this on more than 1 occiansion, along with the CRTL+Del, CTRL+C, and others.

I have even changed the Terminal Settings to where it is using the Windows Keys, instead of the HyperTerminal keys.

I cannot get it to break at the point I need it, and was wondering if I could get assistance with it please?

Thank you for your time, and patience with a newbie.

5 Replies 5

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi

Are you following this link step-by-step to recover the password?

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps628/products_password_recovery09186a0080094184.shtml

HTH

Yes, The Thing is my switch just says Catalyst 2900 series XL.. So I am not sure what the actual model is.. I know that for the 2955(per site), I have to do the Break flash before the auto-reboot, and per another Cisco site for Windows XP HyperTerminal the Break is CTRL+Break..

I will attempt the other methods as well to see if it is one of those.. But I figure I would post it on here to verify the CTRL+Break is the command I need to press for the Break correct?

Have you attempted to:

a) unplug the switch

b) hold the mode button in

c) power on the switch

Holding this for 30 seconds or so after it boots. This should get you to the 'switch:' prompt and you can following the instructions after that.

Yea I actually just did that, and now I am in. Thank you for the help.. Like I said I wasn't sure what model my swich was, so I figure I try to plan ahead.

Thank you for the assistance.

Not a problem. Glad we could help.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card