cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Bridged ACLs

manju.cisco
Level 3
Level 3

What are Bridged ACLs ?? Is it also called as VLAN ACL (VACL) ?? Or is it also called as vlan-maps ????

I am just confused what those three actually are.

Someone pls help to make me understand what they means in short.

Is bridged ACL can be applied on both inbound and outbound direction under an SVI??

Thanks.

3 Replies 3

Arun Nair
Level 1
Level 1

Manju,

All the three terms mean the same, and can be used interchangeably.

Router(config)# vlan access-map ACL_NAME 10

Although some people sometimes, use the term bridged ACL to define the ACLs being applied to ACE appliances(Load balancers) on Bridged virtual interfaces.

A VACL, BACL or Vlan ACL/Vlan-map is basically a method to apply ACLs to VLANs using an access-list sort of formulation. We can define the interesting traffic under the command I have shown above in the form of an access-list and perform an action like "permit" or "drop" on the traffic.

Next question:

Is bridged ACL can be applied on both inbound and outbound direction under an SVI??

Well the answer is yes, but this direction can be defined only by the source and destination in the access-list. You do not have a method to basically set a command like "ip access-group 101 in/out" for a VACL.

Sometimes, I see VACLs as a QOS variance.(Match interesting traffic and act upon it sort of behavior that it displays).

HTH

Cheers

Arun

Hi Arun,

Thanks for clarifying the main point

However, in this case, for the question "Is bridged ACL can be applied on both inbound and outbound direction under an SVI??", you said "YES", but i would now say the answer is NO  because i cannot apply the bridged ACl on any vlan interface.....there is no such command..........

bridged acl can then only be applied to a vlan, not on interface......so the brdiged acl cannot be applied in inbound/outbound direction under an SVI.

Is my understanding correct ???

Thanks.

Hi Manju,

It is possible to apply VACLs to VLANs as shown in the below link:

eg:

SW2(config)#vlan filter VACL_STOPTELNET vlan-list 10(this is the VLAN ID/Number).

http://blog.ine.com/2009/08/10/vlan-access-control-lists-vacls-tiers-1/

Feel free to enquire more.

Cheers

Arun

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card