cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Bridging over WAN

abbas.ali
Level 1
Level 1

Please see the example below.  The only question how to manage the routers  without the IP addresses.    Assuming the routers have only E0 interfaces. 

Thanks

Example 3: Bridging Over a Wide Area Network

37_4.gif

In this example, the two LANs are connected by a T1 link.

RouterA                         RouterB
  --------                        --------
  Interface ethernet 0            Interface ethernet 0
  bridge-group 1                  bridge-group 1

Interface serial 0              Interface serial 0
  bridge-group 1                  bridge-group 1

bridge 1 protocol ieee    bridge 1 protocol ieee
4 Replies 4

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You can use the bvi interface to manage each device:

inter bvi1

ip address xx.xx.xx.xx

Here is config example:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/optical/15000r4_0/ethernet/454/guide/irb.pdf

HTH

Thanks Reza,

But the whole idea behind this setup is to make both ends of ethernet part of the same bridge domain.  I can configure BVI interfaces, but the example shows Layer III IP addresses assigned to both ethernet interaces in RA and RB from the different subnets.

Thanks,

But you need some sort of ip address (same subnet or not) on each lan side, if not how would the hosts communicate without an IP?

BTW, this is not a very common design, as most networks use a /30 subnet for the WAN link and separate subntes for each lan side (routed network).

HTH

Reza,

Totally agreed that this is not the common design.  I am trying this in the lab environment to extend the Layer II connectivity and at the same time should be able to manage the routers via SSH.

By making Router A (E0, and S0) and Router B (E0 and S0) part of the same bridge domain so I can configure hosts at the both sides in the same VLAN and IP addresses from the same subnet.  The only question remains how to manager the routers via SSH or telnet.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card