cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Bringing Vlan interfaces up up

belenkym89
Level 1
Level 1

I've set up a 3550 switch with a trunk connection to another 3550 switch to transfer all vlans accross. On the new switch i'm trying to configure a vlan interface (let's say vlan 2) with an IP address which is unique from the original switches vlan 2 interface. I type in no shut and when I look at the interface status is says shut. I know it's probably something that I'm overlooking, but, I can't seem to get these vlan interfaces to come up. Can someone please help me on this?

Thanks in advance.

Mark

4 Replies 4

Yongbing WU
Level 1
Level 1

Make sure to enable IP routing. Otherwise you can only have one active vlan interface.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Bill

Mark

On most switches there must be at least one active port in the VLAN for the VLAN interface to be up/up. Is there an active port in this VLAN on the new switch?

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

thanks for your input. I've finally figured out that the switch model that I've been working on (3548) is not a layer 3 switch. I probably should have mentioned the model number.

You can only have 1 SVI up at a time on a 3548 , so you apparently already have a SVI that is up/up , if so then do a shutdown on the existing SVI and bring up the new SVI . This interface is to manage the switch only and has nothing to do with any kind of routing between vlans . Also make sure the layer 2 vlan was created in the vlan database , do a show vlan and make sure vlan 2 shows active .

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card