Helpful
Replies

broadcast packet on C6500/C4500

edgar_pascal
Level 1
Level 1

Dear,

how to cek broadcast/unicast packet on C6500/C4500,

if ping my catalys's >1000 ms 4 time then normal to 1 ms continously.

And what is impact to the network if i activated the storm-control?

\Regards,

Edgar Pascal

5 Replies 5

owillins
Level 6
Level 6

You can check the number of unicast, multicast, and broadcast packets passing through the switch by using the command "show port mac".

A traffic storm occurs when packets flood the LAN, creating excessive traffic and degrading network performance. Errors in the protocol-stack implementation or in the network configuration can cause a storm. Storm control can be implemented globally or on a per-port basis. Global storm control and per-port storm control cannot be enabled at the same time.

If you activated global storm control it prevents switchports on a LAN from being disrupted by a broadcast, multicast, or unicast storm on one of the interfaces. Global storm control monitors incoming traffic statistics over a time period and compares the measurement with a predefined suppression level threshold.

Else you activated Per-port storm control uses rising and falling thresholds to block and then restore the forwarding of broadcast, unicast, or multicast packets. You can also set the switch to shut down the port when the rising threshold is reached. And it is also control uses a bandwidth-based method to measure traffic activity.

For further information click this link.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_3t/12_3t4/feature/guide/gt1636nm.html#wp1051018

Thanks for the storm control answer,

Another question:

how to check spanning tree looping or any inter vlan looping in C6500, right now my C6500 if pinging sometime time out 2-3 times and the CPU is very busy.

What is command to check switch is healthy?

I'm using C6500 and Enterasys E7.

Regards,

Lian

ps:

I can't find command "show port mac"

Show port mac is a CatOS command. Dont quote me but I think show int might be able to help you on IOS.

Hi Lian,

If you have logging enabled on your switch, I suggest that you look into the output of the "show logging" command.

Cheers,

Hi,

status of my C6509 is:

- kernel >25% after 5 min

- memeory used >75%

- logging :

C6509#sh logg

35w2d: %OSPF-5-ADJCHG: Process 1, Nbr 10.151.250.1 on Vlan1 from 2WAY to DOWN, N

eighbor Down: Dead timer expired

35w2d: %OSPF-5-ADJCHG: Process 1, Nbr 10.151.250.3 on Vlan1 from 2WAY to DOWN, N

35w3d: %OSPF-5-ADJCHG: Process 1, Nbr 10.151.250.1 on Vlan1 from 2WAY to DOWN, N

35w3d: %OSPF-5-ADJCHG: Process 1, Nbr 205.143.111.254 on Vlan1 from FULL to DOWN

, Neighbor Down: Dead timer expired

35w3d: %OSPF-5-ADJCHG: Process 1, Nbr 205.143.111.254 on Vlan1 from LOADING to F

ULL, Loading Done

Please advice?

regards,

Edgar

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card