Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community Member

Broadcast storm-control and WS-X6704-10GE linecard

Hi,

I have trouble with broadcast storm control on WS-X6704-10GE linecard on switchport with dozen of vlans trunked. Settings on interface regarding storm control currently are:

interface TenGigabitEthernet3/2

storm-control broadcast level 8
storm-control action trap

Show log:

024812: Jul  6 22:45:45.686 MET-DST: %PM_PLATFORM-5-PORTDROP: Port TenGigabitEthernet3/2 dropped packets due to storm control
024857: Jul  7 03:20:52.531 MET-DST: %PM_PLATFORM-5-PORTDROP: Port TenGigabitEthernet3/2 dropped packets due to storm control

At 03:20 there was only cca. 400 Mbit/s of traffic on that interface (inbound traffic), so I am wondering how can that amount of traffic cause triggering of broadcast storm control(level 8@10G interface = 800Mbit of traffic). AFAIK that amount of broadcast traffic would cause major problems on device (cisco 6500).

Here are some additional informations:

show asic-version slot 3
Module in slot 3 has 3 type(s) of ASICs
        ASIC Name      Count      Version
            JANUS          2      (1.0)
              SSA          2      (8.0)
           ROHINI          4      (1.4)

show version
Cisco IOS Software, s72033_rp Software (s72033_rp-ADVIPSERVICESK9-M), Version 15.1(2)SY1, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc4)

cisco WS-C6506-E (R7000) processor (revision 1.0) with 983008K/65536K bytes of memory.

Is there any problem/bug with implementation of broadcast storm control on that type of linecard?

Everyone's tags (1)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Community Member

Hi,From the same doc that I

Hi,

From the same doc that I shared, here is the excerpt that should answer your question:

On these modules, these levels suppress all traffic:

--WS-X6704-10GE: 0.33 percent or less

--WS-X6724-SFP 10Mbps ports: 0.33 percent or less

--WS-X6748-SFP 100Mbps ports: 0.03 percent or less

Yes, 800 Mbps is a huge amount of b/c, I would suggest you to take netdr capture when the b/c storm occurs. Below is the procedure to take the captures:

switch#debug netdr capture rx interface tengig3/2

Switch#show netdr cap

Switch#undebug all

Copy the data and paste in the tool, click here, and parse the data to know the statistics about the dump like top-talker etc.

Regards,

Shekhar

4 REPLIES
Community Member

Hey,Storm control monitors

Hey,

Storm control monitors incoming traffic over an interval of 1 sec and the input rate that you get in 'sh int <int ID>' is by default of the interval of 5 minutes and least can be 30 secs. So, at the time of the b/c traffic being suppressed the input rate of b/c would have surely been more than 800mbps for 1 sec interval.

My point is, if the load-interval on an interface is even the lowest, 30 secs, the input rate is the mean of 30 secs and does not imply the traffic rate for an interval of 1 sec which is the interval used by traffic suppression mechanism in storm-control.

To check the total discards due to storm-control, you may check the output of 'show int tengig3/2 counters storm-control.

You may check the document below for reading more about storm-control:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst6500/ios/12-2SX/configuration/guide/book/storm.html 

Regards,

Shekhar

Community Member

Hi,Tnx for reply. You are

Hi,

Tnx for reply. You are correct, I overlooked traffic storm control interval od 1 sec and input rate interval of 5 minutes, but I'm just wondering if that linecard has some issues with traffic storm control implementation. I have read that level of 0,34% broadcast traffic on 10G interface  can crash the box, and I have broadcast storm control trap alarms triggered @ level 8.5 (that's huge amount of broadcast traffic).

show interfaces tenGigabitEthernet 3/2 counters storm-control

Port             UcastSupp %     McastSupp %     BcastSupp %  TotalSuppDiscards
Te3/2                 100.00          100.00            8.50             108833

Community Member

Hi,From the same doc that I

Hi,

From the same doc that I shared, here is the excerpt that should answer your question:

On these modules, these levels suppress all traffic:

--WS-X6704-10GE: 0.33 percent or less

--WS-X6724-SFP 10Mbps ports: 0.33 percent or less

--WS-X6748-SFP 100Mbps ports: 0.03 percent or less

Yes, 800 Mbps is a huge amount of b/c, I would suggest you to take netdr capture when the b/c storm occurs. Below is the procedure to take the captures:

switch#debug netdr capture rx interface tengig3/2

Switch#show netdr cap

Switch#undebug all

Copy the data and paste in the tool, click here, and parse the data to know the statistics about the dump like top-talker etc.

Regards,

Shekhar

Community Member

Hi,I'll look into debug netdr

Hi,

I'll look into debug netdr option and try to capture some traffic.

Tnx for your help.

Regards,

Ram J.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content