Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Webcast-Catalyst9k

browsing fail outside of subnet

I know it is not exactly a cisco question but since it has a major subnet related issue I hope you'll forgive me and maybe even have some ideas.

random PCs, mostly WinXP SP3 but also WinXP SP2 and Windows 2003  Server SP2 fail to browse outside their subnet
these PCs can access remote folders within the same subnet (/24 subnets)  but fail to access folders on remote subnets or browse the internet (IE  or FF)
accessing these PCs from local subnet servers using PCAnywhere, DameWare or RPC  work. access from outside the subnet using the same tools fail
Windows firewall is disabled via GPO, using NOD32 AV 4.2.40

the problem occur on different network subnets and different sites

I did not find one solution that worked for all the PCs, but was able to  fix most of the machines:
* in one case rebooting the machine fixed the problem while in other  cases it failed to resolve the problem
* in one case starting the RPC Locator service fixed the problem, other  PCs failed to work after the same service was started
* in another case I rebooted, removed & rejoined to the domain and  it still did not work. when I left it for few hours it started to  work...

any ideas, lead, direction or solution will be appreciated!

on one site that has 2 /24 subnets there is only a 3560G switch between the subnets, no firewalls. on another site the connection is via PIX-ASA vpn

thanks!

http://ITDualism.wordpress.com

4 REPLIES

Re: browsing fail outside of subnet

This sounds like a routing table issue.

Once a system starts to exhibit these symtoms you should run a packet trace from the system and check the route tables.  For windows it is "route print".

The reason your able to get it to work via those "work arounds" is that each one allows for a new route to be introduced. 

Once you confirm that you have bad routes you should at the devices providing routing information. 

I know it is not exactly a cisco question but since it has a major subnet related issue I hope you'll forgive me and maybe even have some ideas.

random PCs, mostly WinXP SP3 but also WinXP SP2 and Windows 2003  Server SP2 fail to browse outside their subnet
these PCs can access remote folders within the same subnet (/24 subnets)  but fail to access folders on remote subnets or browse the internet (IE  or FF)
accessing these PCs from local subnet servers using PCAnywhere, DameWare or RPC  work. access from outside the subnet using the same tools fail
Windows firewall is disabled via GPO, using NOD32 AV 4.2.40

the problem occur on different network subnets and different sites

I did not find one solution that worked for all the PCs, but was able to  fix most of the machines:
* in one case rebooting the machine fixed the problem while in other  cases it failed to resolve the problem
* in one case starting the RPC Locator service fixed the problem, other  PCs failed to work after the same service was started
* in another case I rebooted, removed & rejoined to the domain and it still did not work. when I left it for few hours it started to work...

any ideas, lead, direction or solution will be appreciated!

on one site that has 2 /24 subnets there is only a 3560G switch between the subnets, no firewalls. on another site the connection is via PIX-ASA vpn

thanks!

Hi,

Can you share the diagramtic view with separation of PC and networking devices involved in the flow.

Ganesh.H

I concur with Ryan

Any traffic destined out of local subnet should go through the Default Gateway, and the default gateway IP should be in the same subnet.

Another posiibilty could be that you have some machine which is doing ARP poisoning for the gateway MAC address.

thank you all for your responses. I found the problem in the PIX license that limit up to 10 internal users.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content