Views
Helpful
Replies

BVI Interface and GLBP

cassio.gomes
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I would like to know if there is any restriction to configure BVI interface and GLBP feature.

I have two routers Cisco 3845, each router has two LAN interfaces in the same network, and then I configured BVI Feature in each router. HSRP is configured between the routers, and every thing is working fine. I changed the HSRP per GLBP, after this change, the network does not work, I needed to back the HSRP protocol.

Thanks in advance

Cassio

7 Replies 7

cisconoobie
Level 2
Level 2

I didnt know you can run hsrp on a bvi.

I thought HSRP was only supported on routed port, SVI and L3 Etherchannel.

Maybe this is why your having issue with GLBP.

Hello,

After many tests with Cisco Devices, GLBP works very fine, I did not find problem. However, when I configured Enterasys Switches, the problem happened. Devices behind Enteresys Switche can not reach GLBP IP gateway...this is may real problem now...

Did anyone have some experience with GLBP and Enteresys Swicth before?

Thanks in advance.

Cassio

It sounds like the Enterasys switch may be blocking the GLBP Multicast address (224.0.0.102).

__

Edison.

Thanks Edison,

But there is communication between the Cisco routers, however there is no load balacing,

Router-1

Interface Grp Fwd Pri State Address Active router Standby route

BV1 10 - 110 Active 172.20.78.1 local 172.20.78.31

BV1 10 1 7 Listen 0007.b400.0a01 172.20.78.31 -

BV1 10 2 7 Active 0007.b400.0a02 local -

Router-2

Interface Grp Fwd Pri State Address Active router Standby route

BV1 10 - 100 Standby 172.20.78.1 172.20.78.30 local

BV1 10 1 7 Active 0007.b400.0a01 local -

BV1 10 2 7 Listen 0007.b400.0a02 172.20.78.30 -

Thanks,

Cassio

..And the load balancing stops working once you have the devices sitting behind the enterasys switch ?

Well, that makes no sense at all.

Whne I use Cisco Switch, GLBP work fine, when I use Enterays Switch, GLBP does not work, router can talk each other, but load-balacing doe not work.

Thanks,

Cassio

I have no idea what could be the problem then. You either get GLBP working or not and per your post, GLBP works but the load-balancing feature of GLBP does not.

Are you saying clients are able to hit the VIP but traffic only goes via one device ?

Have you tried changing the load-balancing within GLBP and see if the behavior changes ?

__

Edison.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco