Views
Helpful
Replies

bvi interfaces

carl_townshend
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hi all,

can anyone tell me what the main purpose of bridge virtual interfaces are on access points etc ? and if I want my real interface to be linked to it, do I just put the real interface into the bridge-group 1 etc ?

3 Replies 3

s.arunkumar
Level 3
Level 3

A BVI is a virtual interface within the switch router that acts like a normal routed interface. A BVI does not support bridging, but it actually represents the corresponding bridge group to routed interfaces within the switch router.

Yes,in your real interface you need to put bridge-group number.

An example of its use is in irb.using this you can route a given protocol between routed interfaces and bridge groups within a single switch router.In case of irb,you need not to give bridge-group cmd under the real routed interface.

I am a little confused with this? why do we have it on my access point, I was told it bridges the radio interface to the ethernet interface ?

In terms of access-point,i think it may be to make it transparent across interface..

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/access_point/12.2_15_JA/configuration/guide/s15frst.html#wp1034613

HTH..

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card