Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Bypass(IPS or TAP) network cross-connect the two RJ45 connectors electrically thus creating an extended Layer 1 network

Thanks for your time and knowledge. I am trying to understand how bypass mode works in terms of cross connection. 

Bypass mode:  network relays cross-connect the two RJ45 connectors electrically thus creating an extended Layer 1 network

Let us focus on one connection  COM1 ---  3560 ---  ELFIQ (Link Balancer) ---- ASA. 

Basically ELFIQ will be a bypass mode when power is gone. 

The engineer told me that I have to put cross cable between ELFIQ and ASA5505 only which is "2" cable from below diagram. 

So, it will be 

COM1 ------(Straight)-----  3560 -----(straight)------  ELFIQ (Link Balancer) -----(cross)--- ASA.

And he told me also that if there is no switch (in future). I need to put both cables as cross cables. 

COM1 ------------- (Cross) ------------------ ELFIQ-------------- (Cross) ------------------ ASA5505

I couldn't see any consistency from this bypass works because case 1 (with switch) and case 2 (without switch) 

Is my understanding right like below? 

case 1: straight - straight - cross : cross

case 2: cross - cross: straight. 

• LAN Switching and Routing
Everyone's tags (1)
Views
Helpful
Replies
This widget could not be displayed.