Views
Helpful
Replies

c2900 - original image anyone know ?

WAYNE MOORE
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

sorry for the petty question, I just picked up a c2900 and I booted it up and it seems that the last person that owned it tried upgrading it and didnt realize that it only has 1720K flash... my problem is that I only found 2 images that I can put on them and they are both 1700K.. I checked all the way back to 11.1 IOS for an image that will fit to no avail, anyone have any ideas?

Directory of flash:/

2 -rwx 19 <date> env_vars

1726464 bytes available (1536 bytes used)

switch:

thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

The last update for a 4 meg box was 11.2.86.SA12 I believe . unfortunetly they appear to have taken the code for this ancient switch off CCO so it may not be available any more . The 8 meg 2924 image will not fit or work with the old 4 meg box . they used to have a ftp site where you could get some of the old images but that appears to defunct also.

Edit: Ok I found it , go here to get the old 4 meg , its not the last version they did but it should get it working.

ftp://ftp.cisco.com/pub/lan/catalyst/2900XL/4MB/

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

That's very strange, can we see a show version ?

Hi Edison, there is no image on it now. When I turned it on and hooked up the console cable there was a partial image loaded, it looked like someone erased it and tried to reload a newer version on. so I erased it and tried to load the smallest version I could find on it and it wasnt small enough... here is the boot screen..

thanks

Wayne

C2900XL Boot Loader (C2900-HBOOT-M) Version 11.2(8)SA3, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

Compiled Fri 11-Sep-98 17:00 by rheaton

starting...

Base ethernet MAC Address: 00:50:e2:c8:4b:c0

Xmodem file system is available.

Initializing Flash...

flashfs[0]: 1 files, 1 directories

flashfs[0]: 0 orphaned files, 0 orphaned directories

flashfs[0]: Total bytes: 1728000

flashfs[0]: Bytes used: 1536

flashfs[0]: Bytes available: 1726464

flashfs[0]: flashfs fsck took 1 seconds.

...done Initializing Flash.

The system is unable to boot automatically because there

are no bootable files to boot.

switch:

Hmm, well actually just found it on ebay in the desription of someone who is selling one...

but i also appears that he has 4mb of memory..

Hmm I wonder if the flash is a card? maybe Ill just take it apart?

c2900XL-c3h2s-mz.120-5.4.WC.1.bin

Wayne

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

The last update for a 4 meg box was 11.2.86.SA12 I believe . unfortunetly they appear to have taken the code for this ancient switch off CCO so it may not be available any more . The 8 meg 2924 image will not fit or work with the old 4 meg box . they used to have a ftp site where you could get some of the old images but that appears to defunct also.

Edit: Ok I found it , go here to get the old 4 meg , its not the last version they did but it should get it working.

ftp://ftp.cisco.com/pub/lan/catalyst/2900XL/4MB/

thanks very much, that worked great, its I agree its definately and ancient switch, no switchport trunk command even, oh well.. thanks for the help !!!! I dont know how you managed to find it , but I will definately mark that page in case I find any more archaic gear.

thanks,

Wayne

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card