cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

C2960 ilpower-3-controller_port_err: tstart error detected, no network cables connected

ctinsley01
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have a new C2960 that is reporting the follwing errors in the log when I power it up.  I have put a config on it but it is not connected to any devices except the console cable to my serial port.

ILPOWER-3-CONTROLLER_PORT_ERR: Controller port error, Interface Fa0/11: Power Controller reports power Tstart error detected

LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface FastEthernet0/11, changed state to up

SPANTREE-2-BLOCK_BPDUGUARD: Received BPDU on port Fa0/11 with BPDU Guard enabled. Disabling port.

PM-4-ERR_DISABLE: bpduguard error detected on Fa0/11, putting Fa0/11 in err-disable state

LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface Vlan2, changed state to down

LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface FastEthernet0/11, changed state to down

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Chris

10 Replies 10

Ivan Shirshin
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Chris,

The error message means that there is some power being reflected back, and instead of damaging the components in the switch, the power is disabled. This could be caused by a short in the cable, the end device somehow looping the voltage back, port damage or bug causing false diagnostic failures.

Since you mentioned the cables are not connected, the problem has to be local to the switch.

Could you advise on what is the current IOS version the switch is running ("show version")? And do you see such errors with fa0/11 only?

You could try the following commands to flip the PoE settings in case it is some kind of a bug:

conf t

int fa 0/11

power inline never

power inline auto

end

conf t

int fa 0/11    

power inline port 2x-mode

shut

no shut

end

If that does not help and nothing is connected to fa0/11, I believe you have this port damaged.

Kind Regards,

Ivan

Kind Regards,
Ivan

smehrnia
Level 7
Level 7

Hi,

I could find a bit of info on Cisco.com about this kind of errors (I know your port is not connected at all, but internaly they are all connected and powerd with the controller):

This is the severity 3 Cisco IOS configuration caveat:

CSCed09484

When a type 1 Token Ring patch cable is connected to a PoE port, these syslog messages appear every 10 seconds:

00:01:06: %ILPOWER-7-DETECT: Interface Fa1/0/1: Power Device detected: Cisco PD

00:01:06: %ILPOWER-5-POWER_GRANTED: Interface Fa1/0/1: Power granted

00:01:06: %ILPOWER-3-CONTROLLER_PORT_ERR: Controller port error,

Interface Fa1/0/1: Power Controller reports power Tstart error detected

There is no workaround. However, when a valid link partner is connected to the PoE port, it operates normally and without user intervention.

>> try changing or updating your IOS ver.

plz Rate if it helped.

Soroush

Hope it Helps!

Soroush.

Thank you for the feedback!  Here is the IOS info:

C2960 Software (C2960-LANBASEK9-M), Version 12.2(50)SE5, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

Also, this error only occurs on fa0/11. 

Chris

Try updating to Version 12.2(55)SE5.

plz Rate if it help.

Soroush.

Hope it Helps!

Soroush.

Hi Chris,

You are welcome :-)

That IOS version already has the fix for most inline power bugs, such as CSCed09484 (that Soroush mentioned) or CSCeb24148 (switch exhibits %ILPOWER-3-CONTROLLER_ERR: message).

Did you try the commands I suggested above and, if yes, did it have any effect?

Also, please visually check the port to make sure there is nothing in it that would cause a short and make sure to remove switch statics.

Kind Regards,

Ivan

Kind Regards,
Ivan

Ivan,

I ran this: 

conf t

int fa 0/11

power inline never

power inline auto

Then, shut, no shut and received the ilpower error and subsequent bpdu, err-disable message.

I tried to run

power inline port 2x-mode but that command is not available.  Here are my options:

power inline ?

auto         Automatically detect and power inline devices

consumption  Configure the inline device consumption

never        Never apply inline power

police       Police the power drawn on the port

static       High priority inline power interface

Chris

Hi Chris,

This command was introduced in 12.2(55)SE3 to provide workaround for 3rd party devices.

In the PoE controllers, there are three separate current thresholds that are used for different purposes.  These are I(cut), I(limit), and I(short). I(cut) is used as the threshold at which power is removed from the port if the PD draws more power than allocated. (ex. 15.4W).

With the 2x power mode command we increase the I(limit) to 2x time. This means that we can increase the threshold for the voltage fold-back mechanism, which in some cases causes the switch to not power the 3rd party devices, without increasing the threshold at which power is removed from the port.

But it was like additional check and I don't think it is related,  I suggest you to replace the switch if warranty is still active. All of the bugs for similar problems are caused by compatibility with connected devices, not by empty ports.

Kind Regards,
Ivan

**Please grade this post if you find it useful.

Kind Regards,
Ivan

Hmmm ... Sorry, but won't agree that this has got something to do with IOS.  Not yet, by the way.

Can I ask you a favour?  Can we do a TDR test of the cable?

If you are agreeable then can I ask if you MOVE the cable from FastEthernet0/11 to any of the two available GigabitEthernet ports?  I'll explain shortly.

When you have done so, you need to do some preparation.  Here are the steps:

1.  Configure the GigabitEthernet port.  Let's presume that you are using GigabitEthernet 0/1.  The commands are:

conf t

interface Gig 0/1

media rj

end

2.  Run the TDR command and show the results.  The commands are:

• Command:  test cable tdr interface Gig 0/1;
  • Wait for approximately 5 to 7 seconds;
  • Command:  sh cable tdr interface Gig 0/1;  and
  • Please post the output.

2.  Undo the settings in #1:

conf t

interface Gig 0/1

media auto

end

The main reason why I would like the test to run on a GigabitEthernet interface is because TDR test on a FastEthernet interface will test only the first two pairs.  If you have PoE and/or GigabitEthernet problems you want to test the third and fourth pair, respectively.

Hope this helps and I await the test results.

Hey Leo...

he said there is no CABLE attached to the chasis except for the Console...

Hope it Helps!

Soroush.

Hey Leo...

he said there is no CABLE attached to the chasis except for the Console...

Hmmm ... Interesting.

Thanks for the heads-up.  I missed reading that bit.

Hey Chris,

Can you post the output to the command "sh post" please?  And if there's no cable attached to FastEthernet 0/11 can you run the following commands in enable mode:

1.  test cable tdr interface f0/11;

2.  Wait for approximately 5 to 7 seconds;

3.  sh cable tdr interface f0/11; and

4.  Please post the output.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card