cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

C2960 Temerature alarm thresholds ?

jdpethybridg
Level 1
Level 1

The c2960 doc's do not show what the GREEN and RED alarm temperatures are ( unlike a c3750). The C2960 does not have a temperature Value only a Status.

You can set the YELLOW alarm to X DegC below the RED alarm, but i can not find out how to tell what the RED is or what the yellow has been set to.

( IPBASE 12.2(44r)SE6 )

thanx for any help.

5 Replies 5

jbrenesj
Level 3
Level 3

You can configure the yellow threshold using:

"system env temperature threshold yellow <10-25>"

The <10-25> value is number of degrees C **below** the Red threshold.

---> It defaults to 10 degrees below Red.

The RED is not configurable and I believe that for the 2960 the value is set to 45 C

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/cat2960/12235se/rcsi/2960rcsi.htm#wp105994

Thanx jbrenesi. but the RED is not 45. I don't want to put a 2960 in the pie warmer but have one in 45 to 48 DegC and its not alarmed. the RED for a 3750 is 61. thats all i would assume ( but then again the non fan 2960s have an environmental opperating temp of 5 degC less that the fanned units. so it may be 56 ?

So the C2960 questions are still: whats the RED alarm temp value?

How to tell what the Yellow alarm value has been set to?

jdpethybridg
Level 1
Level 1

More testing done.

I left the YELLOW alarm at its Default.

I put the 2960-8TC in an incubator with circulation fans and two thermometers, one on the case of the 2960 , the other in the 2960 resting on the PCB ( via a side vent hole)

I ramped the temperature up from 25 DegC to 62. The 'Show Environment All' said " Temperature OK" all the way up to 62 DegC over the 45 minutes it took to keep the thermometers reading the same as each other ( +1 .3 DegC).

I then let the rig cool to 35.

I set the Yellow alarm to '25 DegC' ( Below the RED alarm value). I did a wri mem and reload, as well as setting the YELLOW value again just to be sure.

I then ramped the Temp back up to 56 Deg C over 30 minutes. The whole time it said " Temperature OK".

So this 2960-8TC alarms don't work OR the RED is something like 80+ Deg C.

After More testing.

Only 2960G devices look to give a status.

These switches have different Motherboard Ass# and Top Assembly#.

All tested 2960 and 2960G units have the same the same firmware ( LanBaseK9 ).

Shockingly on the 2960G the yellow defaults to 87 DegC, the RED is at 100 DegC. SO if the other NON G 2960s have the same thresholds the yellow alarm looks to be able to be set 10 to 25 DegC below 100. Thats 75 to 90 DegC.

( can i give my self points ? ;-)

I have just had a Call from Cisco. They are not 100% sure that the non Gig 2960 even has a temperature sender in side. This may allow a 2960 to state that its "OK" when its not. I suggested the switch should reply with something that indicates that a reply is not available and not say that its "OK".

It was suggested that the RED alarm is 100 DegC and that i should set the Yellow to the maximum 25 ( that will make the yellow alarm active at 100-25). There is no way to read the current value of the Yellow alarm variable.

If someone has a faulty 2960 I'd love to test it to above 87 Deg C ( i would run a remote PSW or run the test unit from 12v DC).

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: