Views
Helpful
Replies

c3560 standard and enhanced image

x_plana01
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I was just wondering - I have 2 exactly same c3560 switches with IP services IOS image, but one reports itself as standard image (WS-C3560G-24TS-S), and the other as enhanced (WS-C3560G-24TS-E).

What?s the difference?

Regards, Martin

4 Replies 4

ankbhasi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Martin,

Standard images are the one that provides Layer 2+ features and basic Layer 3 routing like static routing , rip and are referred as the standard multilayer image (SMI).

The image that provides full Layer 3 routing like eigrp, ospf , bgp and advanced services was referred to as the enhanced multilayer image (EMI).

HTH

Ankur

*Pls rate all helpfull post

Amit Singh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Martin,

If you have IP services image on both of the 3560's then there should not be any difference as such for the features. WS-C3560G-24TS-S is a standard image switch which comes by default with " IP BASE " software which provides you the basic L2 and L3 services.You can upgrade that switch to support enhanced L3 features with "IP services " image.

If you have IP services image on both of the switch, that means that should have same featureset. IP services image provides the following feature:

? Dynamic IP routing protocols for load balancing and constructing scalable LANs: Open Shortest Path First (OSPF), Interior Gateway Routing Protocol (IGRP), Enhanced IGRP (EIGRP), and Border Gateway Protocol (BGPv4)

? Policy-based Routing (PBR allows superior control by enabling flow redirection regardless of the routing protocol configured

? Protocol-Independent Multicast (PIM) for IP multicast routing within a network that enables the network to receive the multicast feed requested and for switches not participating in the multicast to be pruned-support for PIM sparse mode (PIM-SM), PIM dense mode (PIM-DM), and PIM sparse-dense mode

? Distance Vector Multicast Routing Protocol (DVMRP) tunneling for interconnecting two multicast-enabled networks across non-multicast networks

HTH,Please rate if it does.

-amit singh

Doesn't it depend upon the license that is installed as well (I appologize for my ignorance, but I've wondered this as well)? You can't download an IP services image for a switch that was bought with an IP base image and have those features without purchaseing the license upgrade package and installing it can you?

-- tom

Martin

What everyone else has said is correct. What you have is two physically identical switches, however one was originally purchased with the SMI image (WS-C3560G-24TS-S) whilst the other was purchased with the EMI image (WS-C3560G-24TS-E). At some point someone has installed the EMI image onto the SMI switch. This is perfectly acceptable and with the EMI (IP Services or Advanced IP Services) image installed you have the extra features listed in the previous posts. There is nothing stopping you installing an EMI image onto an SMI 3560. To install the EMI image on the SMI switch in addition to downloading the IOS image you should have purchased the appropriate license (which the last time I looked had a list price of about $1000).

The physical hardware has the part number set at the factory hence why one says its part number is 'WS-C3560G-24TS-S' whilst the other says 'WS-C3560G-24TS-E' yet they are both physically the same. The part number doesn't change when you install a differnt IOS image.

With the later 'E' series 3560's and 3750's Cisco have enforced the licensing and the features that are enabled are dictated by a unique license file per switch.

Andy

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: