Views
Helpful
Replies

C3750: Packets lost

Alain Cloet
Level 1
Level 1

Dear all,

I hope any of you can help me, or give me an idea where to look ...

I have a stack of 2 C3750-switches (WS-C3750G-24TS-1U) with IPBASE-firmware (12.2(52)SE). 

When I ping to a machine (in this case a virtual one), the replies are always received on the port where the machine is connected, but on the port-channel connecting to the stack of the 'pinging device' the reply comes only for certain initiators, and not for all.

Setting:

Gi1/0/6: Device/Server I want to connect too ; defined as access port

Gi1/0/25 + Gi2/0/25, as Port-Channel 1: The location of the devices I connect (read as: the uplink to the stack of the PC's), defined for Dot1Q-trunking

Monitoring setup: Source ports: Both: Gi 1/0/6, Po1 (or Po1 replaced by both interfaces)

For the machines which can ping the server I see 2 echo (ping) requests, followed by 2 echo (ping) replies ... So once seen on the Po1, and once seen on the interface Gi1/0/6.

However for other machines, the 2nd reply is missing ; which must be caused by the dropping of these packets in the switch.  At least, I my opinion this must be the reason... But I can't see any (change of) output drops at int Po1, nor at Gi1/0/6.  The CPU doesn't seem to have high usage, and even then, I don't think the error would be constant, as it's always failing for some PC's, and never for others... (at least for a certain time, a few hours it can be constant, the problem dissapears from time to time).

I can't think of any filtering applied in the switch, but of course there must be a reason... I looked through the config a lot of times, searched the internet, but nothing has made me any wiser ...

Can anyone give me some info where I have to look for a solution to this problem? 

PS: I know this is older firmware, but as we don't have a maintenance contract anymore, we can't download newer firmware...And even then, if it wouldn't be a problem related to a firmware-bug, I don't think I would make the upgrade.

Thanks,

Alain

1 Reply 1

nkarpysh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Alain,

I have few questions to understand it better.

- what is speed on Gi1/0/6

- what are the ip addresses of "inging devices" which work and which do not - are they in same subnet

- Do you have ARP/MAC values for "piniging devices" which do not work on 3750 stack

Please also get the following commands:

- show controller eth gi1/0/6

- show controller eth gi1/0/25

- show controller eth gi2/0/25

for same interfaces:

- show queueing int Gix/y/z

- show int gix/y/z switching

- show platform port-asic stats drop interface gigx/y/z

- show ip traffic

Nik

HTH,
Niko
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card