Views
Helpful
Replies

C3750G-24TS-S not starting after IOS upgrade

John Katsoulas
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everybody,

I encountered the following problem and would appreciate your assistance.

Using CNA I upgraded the IOS of a C3750G-24TS-S MLS (existing version 12.1(14)Ea.1-SMI with the latest available on Cisco site 12.2(55)SE8 IP services.

The switch was power cycled but it hung. At this stage power was cut off.

All attempts to restart the switch failed and the device would neither start a POST nor power up its fans.

Can this issue be attributed to a major IOS fault as it could be that the IOS was being unpacked or is it clearly a case of pure power supply hardware failure?

Would appreciate an authored opinion on this.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

RMA.  The capacitor has failed.

View solution in original post

Can it be that this capacitor failure occured due to the IOS unpacking being interrupted?

No.  The old 1.5 RU has a "defect" in it's build.  In the last 3 years, I have countless units being RMA-ed to Cisco.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi John,

If the switch is powered off and cannot be turned on or the fans are not running then that is usually a power supply issue.

It maybe that after the upgrade and reboot, something has happened to the power supply during the boot process.

HTH

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

RMA.  The capacitor has failed.

Thank you Leo.

Can it be that this capacitor failure occured due to the IOS unpacking being interrupted?

As far as I am aware, if all is well with the power supply, the switch powers up, does a POST and then, if it cannot boot it goes into rommon mode. Is there something particular that excludes this switch from this process?

Could it be that an IOS failure "damaged" the power supply?

No.  The old 1.5 RU has a "defect" in it's build.  In the last 3 years, I have countless units being RMA-ed to Cisco.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card