Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Webcast-Catalyst9k

C3750X-48P wrong firmware installed constant system reset.

I have a catalyst 3750X-48P switch that had the wrong software (c3750-ipservicesk9-mz.122-50.SE5) installed on it.

The error reads "hardware not supported by firmware. Try loading newer software instead. System Resetting", it constantly resets.

The switch ignores the switch interupt that is on the upper front left corner and tries to load the bad software.

Is there any way that this cycle can be stopped so I can load the correct software?

6 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Gold

Wrong forum, post in "LAN and switching". You can move your posting with the Actions panel on the right.

Hall of Fame Super Gold

Does the switch go to ROMmon?  You will know when your switch into ROMmon because you'll see the prompt "switch:".

If it goes into ROMmon, you can delete the wrong IOS using the command "delete flash:/c3750-ipservicesk9-mz.122-50.SE5/IOS.BIN".

If you have a spare USB thumb drive, do the following:

1.  Format the USB thumb drive.  If you are using a PC, then use FAT16.  If you are using the 3750X then use the command "format usbflash0:".

2.  Copy the IOS from your TFTP to your USB thumb drive.

3.  Tell the 3750X to boot the IOS from the USB using the command "boot usbflash0:IOS.bin".

NOTE:

1.  Not all thumb drives are supported.  If the 3750X throws up errors or won't recognize, find another one.

2.  Maximum size of the USB is about 8 or 16 Gb.

Mr. Laohoo

The 3750X will not go to ROMmon at all. The boot process is stuck in infante loop. It trys to loads the ios till it errors out with the "hardware not supported by firmware", then restarts by itself. I cannot break the cycle with the mode switch.

Hall of Fame Super Gold

Mark,

Power down the switch.  Hold down the "Mode" button.  Power up the switch and continue to hold down the "Mode" button for about 10 seconds and then release.  

You should see something come up into your console session.

Mr. Laohoo

I did as you asked and the boot process bypassed the mode switch interupt.

Still in a boot loop. Could removing the battery stop this loop?

Hall of Fame Super Gold

Could removing the battery stop this loop?

No.

Hold down the "Mode" button longer. 

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content