Views
Helpful
Replies

C3750X Stacking vs. Uplinking

techinneed
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all,

I have a question of stacking vs. uplinking C3850X switches.

I have five C3750X switches, and will connect computers, laptops, and servers to these switches.  All devices will be on one network, /24 subnet.

The question is, if I stack these switches, via the stack cable, will it be the same as connecting each switch via an uplink port?  Does it buy me anything to using the uplinking mehtod as opposed to just stacking the switches?

Any insight would be great, and\or if one can point me in the right direction of information.

Thank you all!

Jim

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
The question is, if I stack these switches, via the stack cable, will it be the same as connecting each switch via an uplink port?  Does it buy me anything to using the uplinking mehtod as opposed to just stacking the switches?

Totally different concepts.  If you connect them using the uplink ports, then you are using an archaic method called "switch cluster".  The only benefit is "share" one management IP address.

The significant benefit to stacking cable is you share ONE CONFIGURATION to all members of the switch.  If you replace one switch, you just make sure the replacment switch runs the same IOS, same license and NO CONFIGURATION and plug it in.

And finally, what speed do you get with linking them with switch cluster?  10 Gbps?  What speed to do you get with stacking cable?  A lot more.  Switch stacking wins, hands down.

View solution in original post

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Generally stacking is better.  It provides more inter-switch bandwidth.  It frees you from using your "normal" ports.  It avoids the need for STP (or routing) for inter L3 switch redundancy.  You manage one device rather than each stack member.  It allows for MEC.

Basically the stacking feature is why you buy, and pay more for, a 3750-X rather than a 3560-X.

daniel.dib
Level 7
Level 7

The benefits of stacking are:

• One device to manage instead of several
  • More bandwidth through the backplane than through uplinks
  • Don't have to rely on STP to block bridging loops (for the stack)
  • STP is not blocking links leading to less bandwidth (for the stack)

The only drawback I can think of with stacking is if you get a stacking related bug which brings down the entire stack or a misconfiguration that brings down the entire stack. You need to be careful that you are matching the same hardware and software versions and license levels so that you don't end up with a scenario where the master fails and another switch takes over with a lesser license level.

If you have those things covered you should be fine.

Daniel Dib
CCIE #37149

Please rate helpful posts.

Daniel Dib
CCIE #37149
CCDE #20160011

4 Replies 4

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Totally different concepts.  If you connect them using the uplink ports, then you are using an archaic method called "switch cluster".  The only benefit is "share" one management IP address.

The significant benefit to stacking cable is you share ONE CONFIGURATION to all members of the switch.  If you replace one switch, you just make sure the replacment switch runs the same IOS, same license and NO CONFIGURATION and plug it in.

And finally, what speed do you get with linking them with switch cluster?  10 Gbps?  What speed to do you get with stacking cable?  A lot more.  Switch stacking wins, hands down.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Generally stacking is better.  It provides more inter-switch bandwidth.  It frees you from using your "normal" ports.  It avoids the need for STP (or routing) for inter L3 switch redundancy.  You manage one device rather than each stack member.  It allows for MEC.

Basically the stacking feature is why you buy, and pay more for, a 3750-X rather than a 3560-X.

daniel.dib
Level 7
Level 7

The benefits of stacking are:

• One device to manage instead of several
  • More bandwidth through the backplane than through uplinks
  • Don't have to rely on STP to block bridging loops (for the stack)
  • STP is not blocking links leading to less bandwidth (for the stack)

The only drawback I can think of with stacking is if you get a stacking related bug which brings down the entire stack or a misconfiguration that brings down the entire stack. You need to be careful that you are matching the same hardware and software versions and license levels so that you don't end up with a scenario where the master fails and another switch takes over with a lesser license level.

If you have those things covered you should be fine.

Daniel Dib
CCIE #37149

Daniel Dib
CCIE #37149
CCDE #20160011

techinneed
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks everyone for the feedback.

I was leaning towards the stacking but wanted to make sure if that was a better solution from the experts on this forum.

Thanks again!

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card