Views
Helpful
Replies

C4500-X vs. Nexus 5500

rayborg
Level 1
Level 1

Hello guys,

I am about to redesign the core section of our data center, with all that stuff like Redundancy , Routing (mostly static ), Etherchanneling, Qtags etc. etc..  In other words all the things needed to get the whole Network efficient in throughput and flexible for further investment protection.

At the moment we have the old c4506 - SupIV Switches as core .

I was going through nearly all the possible Switches which could easily fullfill my design needs.  The number of users on the Network  are round about 400 users.

The first Switch I have already excluded was the C6500 series switch. Did not fit our needs and Budget.

The Nexus 5548P is very interesting for my project and offers all the feature I need.

Then I came across the information about the introduction of a new Cisco C4500x Switch. The Specs of this component ist also interesting for our  project but  I could not find any information whether  this Switch is already available on the market nor,  any pricing from our distributor.  ´

I have compared the features  mentioned above, for both Nexus and C4500X.  I would not like to go into a deep discussion about the directly Technical coparisons of both switches.  I just want to know how can I position the new C4500X,  when the Nexus already can perform mostly all the features offered from the 4500X Switch.

Are there any specific network constellation in which C4500X is  better situated then a Nexus , for example the N5548P ?

Thanks

4 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The  Author of this posting offers the information  contained within this  posting without consideration and with the  reader's understanding that  there's no implied or expressed suitability  or fitness for any purpose.  Information provided is for informational  purposes only and should not  be construed as rendering professional  advice of any kind. Usage of  this posting's information is solely at  reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In  no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever  (including,  without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or  profit) arising  out of the use or inability to use the posting's  information even if  Author has been advised of the possibility of such  damage.

Posting

Does the Nexus support VSS?

View solution in original post

Disclaimer

The   Author of this posting offers the information  contained within this   posting without consideration and with the  reader's understanding that   there's no implied or expressed suitability  or fitness for any  purpose.  Information provided is for informational  purposes only and  should not  be construed as rendering professional  advice of any kind.  Usage of  this posting's information is solely at  reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In   no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever   (including,  without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or   profit) arising  out of the use or inability to use the posting's   information even if  Author has been advised of the possibility of such   damage.

Posting

I think Cisco is targetting 2nd quarter, 2012, for shipping.  Pricing wise, maybe about $1500 /port.

The 4500X should be orderable late march...so any day now.

Those switch are really not the same as 5500.

Ipv4 L3 table size 5500: 8 K 4500 256 K

MCast table  5500 : 2K 4500 32K

ACL 5500 2K 4500 64K

with the 5500, you get FEX,FET,FCoE,DCB,VPC

with the 4500, you get VSS, GRE, NAT, EEM, Ingress Policing, Storm Control

Do you plan to use the datacenter feature of the 5500, if not, the 4500x might be a good fit.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Be careful when choosing between the two products.  Nexus and the 4500X are two different beasts and designed for two different applications (there are similarities but you want to do NOW and what you want to do TOMORROW can make a difference to the choice you make).

Without going into the nitty-gritty details between the two, I have one simple recommendation:  Talk to the local Cisco office (not your authorized Cisco reseller).  Have provide them with all the necessary info they need and have them give you a recommendation.  Make sure the recommendation is WRITTEN DOWN IN AN OFFICIAL DOCUMENT.

Happens to us.  We got a Cisco Partner give us a design and the specific model was written down.  Two years later, we found out that the model the Partner recommendation WAS NOT suitable.  So the partner had to shell out money to REPLACE our 4900E with a 6506 and a Sup720.  We didn't have to pay for anything.

The politics between the partner and Cisco took about 6 months but the appliance was replaced eventually.

6 Replies 6

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The  Author of this posting offers the information  contained within this  posting without consideration and with the  reader's understanding that  there's no implied or expressed suitability  or fitness for any purpose.  Information provided is for informational  purposes only and should not  be construed as rendering professional  advice of any kind. Usage of  this posting's information is solely at  reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In  no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever  (including,  without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or  profit) arising  out of the use or inability to use the posting's  information even if  Author has been advised of the possibility of such  damage.

Posting

Does the Nexus support VSS?

Thank you  Joseph for prompt answer.

From this point of view,  this is one of the mian features which primarily differs both products from each other.

Never the less, I think that both components are suitable for our needs.  ( apart this VSS Feature which we do not intend to implement anyway)

Now it will just depend how much is the price difference between each other.

Are there any information wether the C4500X can be Ordered or any prognostics regarding Price Lists.

Did Cisco make any Delivery announcements?

I have searched allot but,  did not find not much  regarding such information.

Thanks again.

Disclaimer

The   Author of this posting offers the information  contained within this   posting without consideration and with the  reader's understanding that   there's no implied or expressed suitability  or fitness for any  purpose.  Information provided is for informational  purposes only and  should not  be construed as rendering professional  advice of any kind.  Usage of  this posting's information is solely at  reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In   no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever   (including,  without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or   profit) arising  out of the use or inability to use the posting's   information even if  Author has been advised of the possibility of such   damage.

Posting

I think Cisco is targetting 2nd quarter, 2012, for shipping.  Pricing wise, maybe about $1500 /port.

The 4500X should be orderable late march...so any day now.

Those switch are really not the same as 5500.

Ipv4 L3 table size 5500: 8 K 4500 256 K

MCast table  5500 : 2K 4500 32K

ACL 5500 2K 4500 64K

with the 5500, you get FEX,FET,FCoE,DCB,VPC

with the 4500, you get VSS, GRE, NAT, EEM, Ingress Policing, Storm Control

Do you plan to use the datacenter feature of the 5500, if not, the 4500x might be a good fit.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Be careful when choosing between the two products.  Nexus and the 4500X are two different beasts and designed for two different applications (there are similarities but you want to do NOW and what you want to do TOMORROW can make a difference to the choice you make).

Without going into the nitty-gritty details between the two, I have one simple recommendation:  Talk to the local Cisco office (not your authorized Cisco reseller).  Have provide them with all the necessary info they need and have them give you a recommendation.  Make sure the recommendation is WRITTEN DOWN IN AN OFFICIAL DOCUMENT.

Happens to us.  We got a Cisco Partner give us a design and the specific model was written down.  Two years later, we found out that the model the Partner recommendation WAS NOT suitable.  So the partner had to shell out money to REPLACE our 4900E with a 6506 and a Sup720.  We didn't have to pay for anything.

The politics between the partner and Cisco took about 6 months but the appliance was replaced eventually.

Thank you all for your comments/ information.

Thank you Joseph for the information. In the meanwhile I have found some information in an other forum, in which

nearly the same price diagnostic was given as you stated.

Here the link :  http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/cisco/nsp/157772

Dominic thank you for pointing out the the different features between these units. My aim in starting this discussion was to get a clear picture how to  position these two Products. In the second phase, "choosing the right product for my needs"  these different features must be taken in consideration so avoid such an issue as " leolaohoo" just explained.  

It is now clear to me that although the products are similar ( hardware wise) they still have software feature which make them more suitable to be employed in an explicit  network constellation.  Therefore I think this discussion has contributed in getting a better understanding and information regarding these products.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: