Views
Helpful
Replies

C6500 Sup720 - Software CoPP

parisdooz12
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

On C6500 Sup720, multicalst and broadcast traffic can't be handled by hardware CoPP, only software CoPP. Is it a real use to make CoPP filtering in this case, as software CoPP implies RP analysis?

Beside that, I noticed that even making CoPP filtering on multicast/broadcast traffic, this traffic apperas in netdr dubug (does it means the netdr debug occurs just before to send packets to CPU, then CPU applies filtering, and then packet are treated?)

Thanks

P.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Richard Michael
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The same policy applies both on software and hardware. So there is a mistral asic buffers 4096 packets before being sent to CPU. you would see both hardware and software counters in the control-plane policy. Special packets that needs attention of CPU will hit the hardware policy first and then goes to software where the same policy will be applied. When i mean software its Route processor.

Richard

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Richard Michael
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The same policy applies both on software and hardware. So there is a mistral asic buffers 4096 packets before being sent to CPU. you would see both hardware and software counters in the control-plane policy. Special packets that needs attention of CPU will hit the hardware policy first and then goes to software where the same policy will be applied. When i mean software its Route processor.

Richard

Ok, thanks. After check, it apperas that packets appears in netdr debug but are dropped after by the policy in software.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: