Views
Helpful
Replies

Cable Length with cisco command

paultim68
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

Desktop / Laptop / AP / Printers are connected to the switch 2960. which command on cisco switch tells me the distance or cable length from switchport to the host.

cheeers

Paul

7 Replies 7

Hi Paul,

None as far as I know.

Regards,

Smitesh

Edwin Summers
Level 3
Level 3

You may be interested in leolaohoo's document:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-18983

How to use Time-Domain Reflectometer (TDR)

Amit Singh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

there is not a command as such. You can only troubleshoot the connectivity use TDR but it does not tell you the cable length.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

there is not a command as such. You can only troubleshoot the connectivity use TDR but it does not tell you the cable length.

Yes it does. 

The TDR command combo will tell you the length of the cable.

Many thanks guys for the post. Sorry, I was not aware of the fact that we can really do that.

Good to know that it can be done.

Cheers,

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Thanks for the ratings Amit.

Apologies not necessary.  That's one of the intention of this Forum isn't it?  Share information and knowledge? 

AlexMontis61951
Level 1
Level 1

I believe there is an answer (partial) to your questions that may have been overlooked by the previous answers I read.  

I always use this command below on new site installations to make sure the end-to-end cabling is not an excessive length due to the path taken.  Not sure if this is of any help to you.

show interfaces counters errors

Among it's uses it also can determine if the length of the cable run is excessive.  It cannot tell you exactly what you asked which as the segment lengths but it can tell you that end-to-end the entire run is suitable for use (not excessive).

ES6147#show int counters error
Port        Align-Err     FCS-Err    Xmit-Err     Rcv-Err  UnderSize  OutDiscards
Gi0/1               0           0           0           0          0            0             0
Gi0/2               0           0           0           0          0            0             0

"Late collisions can also indicate an Ethernet cable or segment that is too long. Collisions must not be seen on interfaces configured as full duplex. "
(quote from "Troubleshooting Switch Port and Interface Problems" on Cisco)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card