Helpful
Replies

Calculate internet bandwidth

akshaycjoshi
Level 1
Level 1

I have Cisco 2921 with 3 interfaces.

G0/0 connects to internet.

G0/2 has various client vlans (on subinterfaces only) which access internet.

G0/1 has my proxy cache via WCCP.

I frequently get complaints when people report that there internet connection is slow.

I need to monitor outgoing traffic to internet on the basis of vlan subnets and find out which vlan is using max. bandwidth and is accessing what on the internet, 21 or 80 or 443 etc etc.

Please guide me on this.

I need daily reports.

4 Replies 4

John Blakley
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Askhay,

You would be better off running an snmp server that could poll the router and interfaces along with possibly a netflow collector if you're needing daily reports. Bandwidth usage can be monitored with something like mrtg/prtg or Cacti (http://www.cacti.net), but there's nothing easy on the router that's going to give you all of this information outside of standard tx/rx current rates.

HTH,
John

*** Please rate all useful posts ***

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***

Hello

I aggrre John,  Neflow would be ideal however, in the interim, possibly enabling nbar protocol discovery may be able to gve you a general idea of whats travesing your links.

int xx

ip nbar protocol-discovery

sh ip nbar protocol-discovery top-n 10

res

Paul

Please don't forget to rate any posts that have been helpful.

Thanks.

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

In case you want to go with Netlow you can install manageengine. It's free if you monitor two interfaces.

http://www.manageengine.com/

zheng.olivier
Level 1
Level 1

you also can configure a policy map on the ingress interface, in which you'll set the match statement for each subnet.
then with a show policy, you'll get a packet counter for each subnet.

it's not perfect, but it cost nothing. otherwise, you can use netflow/span to a packet collector ....

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco