Views
Helpful
Replies

Calculate traffic amount on interface

Jason Jackal
Level 1
Level 1

Team:

I have not deployed any monitoring software yet; however, Cacti is in the works. But is it possible to change ‘five minute input rate / five minute output rate’ time interval from 5 min to secs and get an accurate account of traffic going over a FastEthernet interface? Would I choke the hardware (3750) if I can change this attribute? Would this be a good method to see the load/traffic values in real time?

BACKGROUD:

The server team has deployed a new SQL server, and the DB devs are complaining that it is slow. I am suspecting that more traffic is going over the interfaces then what the ‘server team’ and ‘db devs’ indicated because they know I would raise a stink. I do not have access to the database server, nor the other end, yet I have access to network gear between the points.

Since I have never faced this type of issue, or problem – I need some direction and/or suggestions on how to troubleshoot this type of issue.

Thanks

JJ

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Ankur Arora
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Jason,

Issue the command load interval 30  on the interface and it will start displaying the input/output rate for 30 secs.

This won't impact the efficiency of the switch..

For further troubleshooting of the issue check for any output drops/ input errors/crc in the show interface fax/y output.

Thanks

Ankur

"Please rate the post if found useful"

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Ankur Arora
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Jason,

Issue the command load interval 30  on the interface and it will start displaying the input/output rate for 30 secs.

This won't impact the efficiency of the switch..

For further troubleshooting of the issue check for any output drops/ input errors/crc in the show interface fax/y output.

Thanks

Ankur

"Please rate the post if found useful"

@Ankur

Sorry I have been travelling - Thank you for the reply and pointers.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card