cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can 3845, 2821 or 7206 routers do QinQ vlan tagging on subinterfaces?

jkeeffe
Level 2
Level 2

We're told by a service provider that we need to implement QinQ double vlan tagging on our external interfaces, but we have the above routers connected to the provider and I don't think they support QinQ. Is that correct?

3 Replies 3

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

That's an odd request. It's the Service Provider's responsibility to deploy QinQ in their network and your devices will be configured for 802.1q trunking which you can do on any of these routers.

__

Edison.

That's what I thought. We were told we'd be given a clean Fastethernet hand-off and would be able to do anything we wanted on our router interfaces - that they (the ISP) would transparently pass whatever we configured.

We want to do standard L3 802.1q, for instance:

F0/1.10

encap dot1q 10

ip address xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

F0/1.50

encap dot1q 50

ip address xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

But the ISP is having troubles giving us a clean connection, and they came back and said that somewhere in their cloud they are triple tagging and we will need to double tag using QinQ to get it to work.

It sounds like they really don't know what's going on.

If it's a clean pseudowire connection (which the ISP can implement with QinQ or xconnect) then you can pass any Vlans you want.

I'm really confused what the problem really is.

It sounds like they are telling you that you can't trunk to their PE device and in order to pass 801.Q Vlans, you must be doing your own QinQ. That's odd and I hope you get a great discount :)

__

Edison.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card