Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

can a lw ap carry two vlans?

i have just started studying for ccna wireless but i need to make an early decision for deciding on my project network design , im not clear on whether a light weight ap can have two ssid for two separate vlans? like vlan 2 and vlan 3

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Hall of Fame Super Gold

i have just started studying

i have just started studying for ccna wireless but i need to make an early decision for deciding on my project network design , im not clear on whether a light weight ap can have two ssid for two separate vlans? 

The answer is YES. 

Another thing, you're asking a question about controller-based IOS but your question is more "aimed" at autonomous IOS.  When you're dealing with controller-based AP, all configuration is in the WLC and the APs pull their configurations from the WLC everytime it joins the controller.  Without a controller the AP will broadcast NOTHING.  

4 REPLIES
Purple

Yes that should not be a

Yes that should not be a problem .

Hall of Fame Super Gold

i have just started studying

i have just started studying for ccna wireless but i need to make an early decision for deciding on my project network design , im not clear on whether a light weight ap can have two ssid for two separate vlans? 

The answer is YES. 

Another thing, you're asking a question about controller-based IOS but your question is more "aimed" at autonomous IOS.  When you're dealing with controller-based AP, all configuration is in the WLC and the APs pull their configurations from the WLC everytime it joins the controller.  Without a controller the AP will broadcast NOTHING.  

if i set multiple vlans i

if i set multiple vlans i would need to set multiple subnets , but from what im studying there is a managment ip for the controller , do i need to set multiple management ip that lie in the same subnets as these vlans?

Hall of Fame Super Gold

if i set multiple vlans i

if i set multiple vlans i would need to set multiple subnets

Correct.

but from what im studying there is a managment ip for the controller

Correct.  Management IP Address for the WLC is there so you can manage the controller remotely.  The other important function for the Management IP Address is for the controller-based AP to contact the controller.  Without the Management IP Address, how can the CAPWAP APs contact the controller?

do i need to set multiple management ip that lie in the same subnets as these vlans?

It is recommended that your Dynamic VLANs and your Management IP Address NOT to be the same subnet.  It does NOT make any sense.

Views
Helpful
Replies