cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can I connect two Nexus 6000 switches to one ASA port channel using vPC on the two Nexus switches?

John Malette
Level 1
Level 1

I have created a port channel on my ASA and I wanted to use a vPC between the two Nexus 6k switches but I have read conflicting information about using a vPC to route traffic out in this manner. Is this supported? 

4 Replies 4

jgardner150
Level 4
Level 4

I believe the only time where it is not supported is when you are using a dynamic routing protocol like EIGRP or OSPF. I have a number of ASA working just fine with vPC's but we run static routes to them...

We are  using static routes on our 6k switches. So to be clear if I, for example, setup the hsrp vip on vlan 1 with an IP of 10.10.10.1/24 and then trunk vlan 1 across the vPC and put 10.10.10.5/24 on the firewall vlan 1 interface I can create a static route for traffic destined for another network subnet from the 6ks to 10.10.10.5 and it will route through the firewall as long as no routing protocol is running on the Nexus switches and I add the new vlan to the vPC Peer-link? I'm new to Nexus and vPC so I just want to make sure I'm not missing something.

Yep I believe this should work. This sounds like exactly what we are doing in our environment.

jgardner150
Level 4
Level 4

One side note though... I did learn the hard way that if you have a add on module in your ASA (like a 4GE SSM)) it does not support port channels. There was a version of code that had a bug that would let you configure the port channel, but it does not work correctly. I think it is a hardware limitation due to the way the module is seen at a hardware level as a single port.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card