cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can I run different versions of VTP on two switches?

habeebuddin786
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I need some assistance to understand about the changes in the network if I deploy/connect a new switch (VTP mode: client) to a core switch which is running in a vtp server mode in production network. To my knowledge configuration revison number on new switch which is in client mode should be less than the revision number of the server, as its seen in both switches as shown but I am stuck here by seeing the version numbers on both sides are different. Can anyone please let me know or guide me or send some good link for deploying the new switch in production network or provide me some prerequisites for deploying the new switch. Below are the VTP status details of both server and client.

CORE#sh vtp status
VTP Version capable             : 1 to 3
VTP version running               : 2
VTP Domain Name                : engrlab
VTP Pruning Mode                 : Disabled
VTP Traps Generation             : Enabled
Device ID                                : 001b.d587.aac0
Configuration last modified by 192.168.30.2 at 2-21-10 00:23:28
Local updater ID is 192.168.30.2 on interface Vl30 (lowest numbered VLAN interface found)

Feature VLAN:
--------------
VTP Operating Mode                        : Server
Maximum VLANs supported locally    : 1005
Number of existing VLANs                 : 25
Configuration Revision                        : 17
MD5 digest                                       : 0x02 0x30 0xA3 0xE7 0x50 0x2B 0x5B 0x24
                                                          0xD8 0x25 0x92 0x89 0x25 0xF0 0xDD 0x91

NEWSWITCH#sh vtp status
VTP Version capable                : 1 to 3
VTP version running                  : 1
VTP Domain Name                   : engrlab
VTP Pruning Mode                    : Disabled
VTP Traps Generation               : Disabled
Device ID                                  : 9caf.cac5.ef80
Configuration last modified by 0.0.0.0 at 3-2-93 05:01:49

Feature VLAN:
--------------
VTP Operating Mode                        : Client
Maximum VLANs supported locally   : 255
Number of existing VLANs                : 6
Configuration Revision                       : 1
MD5 digest                                      : 0xA2 0xC8 0x2C 0x5E 0xEA 0xD2 0x0B 0x97
                                                         0x12 0xB4 0xD7 0x0F 0x97 0xC4 0xC1 0x36

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Habeeb,

first you should follow the guide line from JayaKrishna to allow vtp communication.

What I can say to your question is, that a client can overwrite the vtp setting if the revision number is higher than the server.

To Do's:

1. make sure the you are runnunig as client, if you want that. Server is also possible of course.

2. the revision number is the key and must be lower than the current in the network, otherwise the new switch will overwrite the vtp configuration. Thats mostly bad

regards,

Sebastian

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Jayakrishna Mada
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

No, you cannot run VTP version 1 and version 2 in the same domain.

Look at the configuration guide lines in the following link for more inforamtion:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VTP#VTP_Version_1_and_2_Configuration_Guidelines

JayaKrishna

Thanks for your quick response.

One more quick question like, Is it safe to connect this new switch in client mode?

Regards,

Habeeb

Hi Habeeb,

first you should follow the guide line from JayaKrishna to allow vtp communication.

What I can say to your question is, that a client can overwrite the vtp setting if the revision number is higher than the server.

To Do's:

1. make sure the you are runnunig as client, if you want that. Server is also possible of course.

2. the revision number is the key and must be lower than the current in the network, otherwise the new switch will overwrite the vtp configuration. Thats mostly bad

regards,

Sebastian

Hi Jayakrishna, sebastian,

Thanks for your help and suggestions. I have deployed the new switches successfully in the production network successfully.

Cheers!!!

Habeeb

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: