Views
Helpful
Replies

Can not Ping Laptop from Router

Davy Ad
Level 1
Level 1

Hello ,

I just want to know ,what is wrong here.

I have laptop connected to Router 2620 on the same network range(LAN).

Router 192.168.10.1/24

ip route on router 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 192.168.10.10

Laptop 192.168.10.10/24

Gateway on Laptop is 192.168.10.1

ROUTER<--------->Laptop

No ACL ,NO ROUTING Protocols !!!

I can ping from Laptop->>>>Router

I can NOT ping fron Router-->to Laptop.

Any Help Please

DAK

13 Replies 13

Lucien Avramov
Level 10
Level 10

You have a firewall software on y our laptop: either windows firewall or some antivirus program

Thanks

i turned off the window firewall and fine tuned it to allowed ICMP and Echo ,still the same .

Any help again will be great

Regards

sschulak
Level 1
Level 1

on router do a "show ip arp" and verify that the router can see your ARP entry. Make sure you turn your Windows firewall off and then if you run the cisco vpn client you have to turn off the statefull firewall

if the ping is done the entry is there.

Its a firewall issue on the pc or a firewall between pc and switch

Thanks i did the same thing you said it shows the ip address and the PC connection was up.

I turn the window firewall off before and there was no pin ,even i fine tunned it, allowed Echo and ICMP in window firewall

Please let me know what else could it be

Thanks

Source ping the pc from router interface of the subnet the pc is on , if it doesn't ping its a pc issue , this takes out default gateway settings etcc on the pc. You don't need a default static on the router if the pc is directly attached to the router.

run a wireshark packet capture on your pc, you probably wont be seing any packets if there is a firewall blocking traffic that was not disabled.

sschulak
Level 1
Level 1

look at the arp entry in the router and see if it says "incomplete" or it it actualy shows a MAC address for your IP. Can you ping the router from your PC? If so its like everyone else is saying, some FW service

yes i can ping from PC to router

johnlloyd_13
Level 9
Level 9

try changing your cable and try removing the static route in the router and gateway settings in your laptop. do ping tests again.

why changing the cable when it pings from pc to router but not from router to pc. this doesnt make much sense.

it's a firewall issue.

Thanks Lucien,

I will try and check my PC again.I tried it on another Laptop with Vista and it was the same issue.

Open Windows Firewall and Set Inbound Rules as the pictureInbound Rule.PNG

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: