cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

can one 891 run two networks?

Mark Smith
Level 1
Level 1

We have an 891 router at our resort but our internal private traffic and public wifi traffic are mixed (two wireless ap are providing the wireless). The boss wants to seperate out the internal private traffic. I felt I could do this with two vlans and one internet connection pretty easily.

The boss threw me a screwball and and said he was going to get a seperate DSL account for our internal private traffic. So what he wants is the 891 to handle two internet connections and have two seperate lans (vlans?).

I see talk about using the 891 for failover and two internet connections, but I'm just not quite sure and I don't want to play with it for hours before knowing what I'm getting into,

So can I run two internet connections and keep the traffic seperate (one lan/vlan per internet connection seperated)? Can someone give me some hints on how to get it done?

7 Replies 7

Hi Mark,

you can and easily too. i would say that the use of prefix-list or simply the implementation of route-map are an easy way to manage the "internet" side while internally definitely you can use multiple vlans as multiple subnets.

to better understand the ISP1 and ISP2 links can you tell s which should be the usage of it? Is the xDSL used just as back-up or should they be both active?

If the separation of these networks is the most important thing to your manager, you could even use two different routing processes ... this technique is called "ships in the night" but you want to be sure to know how to use your external connections before implementing whatever solution

HTH

Alessio

Both are active. We want both internet connections running at the same time but seperate. No failover or anything. One is a ppoe dsl and one connection is a cable modem.

It doesn't have to be exactly this way, but this is what I'm thinking:

Our 891 is the wired router.

The business side is the  cable modem connection which plugs into WAN GE 0. FE0 through FE3 will be on the same network as this connection. Because this is the business side of the network (and we run credit cards over the internet), this should be seperate from the public side.. We have at least one dumb switch down the line.

The public side PPOE dsl will plug into FE8 and FE6 and FE7 will be on the network with it.

Now the only complication is that we have two Cisco 1200 ap wireless G access points. Boss would still like business and public use of the wireless. I thought if I had two vlans on FE4 and FE5 that the 1200 could manage a wireless network for each vlan. That's why I thought of vlans--honestly not sure what two routing processes is and if it would allow me to have both networks pass to the 1200 APs.

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I see talk about using the 891 for failover and two internet connections, but I'm just not quite sure and I don't want to play with it for hours before knowing what I'm getting into,

So can I run two internet connections and keep the traffic seperate (one lan/vlan per internet connection seperated)? Can someone give me some hints on how to get it done?

Yes it can be done, but as you said, if you want to avoid spedning hours and getting frsutration, ger a reputable consultant or certified cisco partner do it for you.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

How big are the WAN links?  (Combined)

How big are they? One is 2 meg and one is 4meg. I becha we'll upgrade them this winter but where we are I know they won't go over 20meg combined probably ever.

How big are they? One is 2 meg and one is 4meg. I becha we'll upgrade them this winter but where we are I know they won't go over 20meg combined probably ever.

890 router, right?  Well the 890 is rated at 51.20 Mbps.  Now before you jump up in the air and scream "Whoopti-de-doo", let me tell you that the value of 51.20 Mbps is expressed in HALF duplex and without any encryption.

25.60 Mbps in FULL duplex OR with encryption and 12.80 Mbps in FULL duplex and with encryption.

Did you ever get this configured? I need to do the same thing.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: