Views
Helpful
Replies

Can ping other VLAN when port on Static Access but not when Trunk

paulwalliman1
Level 1
Level 1

Greetings all,

I`ve a strange issue I can`t fathom, I could do with a little help on please.

I`ve setup a few connected Cisco switches with VLANS which have been working as expected for the last year. However, I`ve made some recent additions which don`t seem to be working as I hoped.

Here`s an overview:

Three switches

1: Switch1-This is the default gateway and does all the routing between VLANS

Switch2 and Switch3 have all been setup with all the VLANS and are TRUNKED between them along with most of the other ports for devices.

2: VLAN1 is the native VLAN for range 172.16.x.x and the Gateway set a 172.16.8.1

VLAN20 is range 172.20.x.x and g/w 172.20.8.1

VLAN40 is range 172.40.x.x and g/w 172.40.8.1

Devices seem to be routing OK as I`ve got units on differing VLANs able to ping across to other VLANS without a problem. Both Trunked ports and access ports on differing VLANs.

However, I`ve got some devices that will only work (ie be pingable or be able to ping other devices across VLANs) when the port it`s plugged into is set as a static Access port for that vlan. When it`s a Trunk port it doesn`t want to ping out or be pinged.

I`m a bit stuck now as I presume the VLANS and routing is setup ok as it`ll work when the port is Static Access. I thought a Trunk port would allow a device setup for any VLAN to pass through unless it was exluded.

Can anyone see a fatal flaw in my setup or thinking please and point me in the right direction. Am I missing a vital piece of the puzzle?

many thanks,

Paul

2 Replies 2

rfalconer.sffcu
Level 3
Level 3

Are you connecting end points to trunk ports, like PCs and printers into ports on the switch configured as trunks?

acampbell
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Paul,

1) An access port is used to connect to devices like PCs, laptops printers etc where the device only requires access to a single vlan and usually has "NORMAL" NIC card settings where it does not uses VLAN tagging.

2) A trunk port is used to carry multiple VLANS accross a single physical link and the devices at each use VLAN tagging. These devices are usually network boxes like LAN switches, routers but can also be servers where the NIC has been set to use vlan tagging.

You should only use access ports for your normal devices like PCs laptops etc.

I hope you can view this link to explain vlans etc

http://www.cisco.com/web/learning/le31/le46/cln/qlm/CCNA/icnd2/understanding-vlans-and-trunks/player.html

Regards,
Alex.
Please rate useful posts.

Regards, Alex. Please rate useful posts.
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card