Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Webcast-Catalyst9k

Can ping Routers but not hosts across leased VLS line

I am having an issue with connectivity across a leased 100MB VLS.  I have two Cisco 2921 routers & 2960 switches at each location.  Each location has a different subnet, 192.168.168.0 /24 & 192.168.4.0 /24.  I have configured the static routes on both routers to each subnet.  I can ping the routers across the line but cannot ping connected hosts off the switch.  Traceroute showed the last hop to be the destination router's incoming interfaces(The Wan link address 192.168.200.0 /30).  This occurs in both directions no matter which location I'm at.  Any suggestions on why the hosts can't see each other?

Routes:

ip route 192.168.4.0 255.255.255.0 192.168.200.2

ip route 192.168.168.0 255.255.255.0 192.168.200.1

Thanks

4 REPLIES
VIP Super Bronze

Do the hosts have the correct default gateways?

How is each switch connected to the router in each location?

trunk port, access port?

have you added the vlan(s) to the trunk on each site?

Can you post the switch and routers config?

HTH

The default Gateways are configured respectively 192.168.168.1 & 192.168.4.1 being the ip on each G0/0 lan interface.

This is stock hardware right out of the box.  I haven't configured any vlans or trunking at this point.  I was just testing that I could push data across this link to each network.  I have seen some cisco smart switches that default every port to trunk.  I assumed this would work with defuaIt Vlan 1. I am fairly new to cisco equipment.  I'm working on my CCNA.  I will try and post the config's

Hall of Fame Super Blue

Re: Can ping Routers but not hosts across leased VLS line

Joey

Can you just check that hosts don't have firewalls on them that is blocking the traceroutes and pings.

Jon

Re: Can ping Routers but not hosts across leased VLS line

Problem Solved!  thanks to those that responded.  It made me ask myself questions I hadn't thought of.

I assumed if no other Vlans were created other than default Vlan 1 the communications would work.  I guess not.

I added a vlan and assigned the hosts to it.  After enabling trunking between switch and router and configs for the static route to the other network, connnectivity worked!  I was able to ping the hosts from both sides.

Thanks,

Joey

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content