cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can someone recommend a router?

jprudencio7591
Level 1
Level 1

We are looking at replacing the routers at my place of business. It is a small organization with about 200 users. We have 3 branches. The topology is a basic hub and spoke with 2 remote sites that are connected with our main site by SFP fiber capped at 100Mbps then 100Mbps going out from our main site also capped at 100Mbps. The services we run are security cameras, internet fax, an SQL database that uses SIP communication, and webmail. We do not use VOIP. We currently run 1841's at the remote sites and a 2811 at the main site. My funds are limited to about a thousand per router or three thousand total plus SmartNet support.

Thank you

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You can't really upgrade to a newer router for $1000.  The newer routers you can purchase are the 2900 series, but they cost lots more then a $1000.  If your budget is so limited and the current devices are working just fine, then keep what you already have and just purchase SmartNet contract.

HTH

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You can't really upgrade to a newer router for $1000.  The newer routers you can purchase are the 2900 series, but they cost lots more then a $1000.  If your budget is so limited and the current devices are working just fine, then keep what you already have and just purchase SmartNet contract.

HTH

jprudencio7591
Level 1
Level 1

We have been having all kinds of trouble since we went from 30Mbps to 100Mbps and I don't know that the 1841 and 2811 can handle the additional bandwidth. I have found 1921's and 1941's for the branch sites and a 2921 for the main site within my budget but I am leary to order as I would like some type of concrete evidence that these routers would handle the load. Is this possible?

Thanks,

If you are looking to get 100Mbps line rate, neither 1841 or 2811 will be sufficient. 2921 maybe closer.

Have a look at this link for some performance comparison

http://www.cisco.com/web/partners/downloads/765/tools/quickreference/routerperformance.pdf

HTH

So I am actually looking at 2 CISCO2921/K9's for the branch sites and a CISCO2951/K9 for the main site. From the chart these should handle 100Mbps no problem. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card