cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

can sup2 boot from a flash disk?

andy.carse
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, Can anyone tell me if a SUP2 will boot off a flash disk (MEM-C6K-ATA-1-64M) or does it have to be a flash card (MEM-C6K-FLC64M).

The release notes says its supported in boot image 7.1.1, but doesn't say if it should boot.

Rgds Andy

4 Replies 4

ankbhasi
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Andy,

Yes you can sue MEM-C6K-ATA-1-64M card to boot your sup 2 with ROMMON version 7.1(1) and later releases.

MEM-C6K-FLC64M is only used for sup 1 card.

HTH

Ankur

*Pls rate all helpfull post

Thanks I've tried but I can't get it to boot from the disk.

Is there something I need to do with the config?

If these have been converted to IOS would this make any difference.

I'll post the output from the switch booting up tomorrow if it helps.

Rgds Andy

Hi Andy,

Which image currently you have on your switch?

Can you post "sh mod" and "sh version" from your switch?

Ankur

bbaillie
Level 1
Level 1

The supervisor will boot from the ATA card but you need to use the correct device name and of course format it first. Normally you would use "boot slot0:" from the rommon or "boot system flash slot0:" from the IOS to boot the SUP card. With ATA devices they are addressed as "disk0:" rather than "slot0:", the rest is the same.

Here is more detail, watch for "invalid magic number" and "bad device block" messages they mean the device needs to be formatted.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps708/products_release_and_installation_notes09186a008026a74b.html

Brian

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card