cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can't Seem To Remove Standby Switch From 3850 Stack

MinnesoatGuy
Level 1
Level 1

I've look everywhere and can't seem to find what I thought might be an easy line to change a standby switch to a normal member.  I had a tech add a switch to an existing stack (four switches, now five), I didn't want him to power it up, but he did anyway and the new switch decided it was a standby switch (switch 5).

Switch/Stack Mac Address : 008e.730b.8f80 - Local Mac Address
Mac persistency wait time: Indefinite
                                             H/W   Current
Switch#   Role    Mac Address     Priority Version  State
------------------------------------------------------------
 1       Member   008e.730b.a680     1      V06     Ready
*2       Active   008e.730b.8f80     15     V06     Ready
 3       Member   008e.730b.8100     1      V06     Ready
 4       Member   00af.1fcc.0980     14     V06     Ready
 5       Standby  0056.2b2a.2f80     1      V06     Ready

I don't want a standby switch, I just want another member switch.  Any help?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

There should be a standby switch though , so if the active fails he instantly becomes the active master for the stack

from the docs
A switch stack always has one active switch and one standby switch. If the active switch becomes unavailable, the standby switch assumes the role of the active switch, and continues to the keep the stack operational.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3850/software/release/3se/ha_stack_manager/configuration_guide/b_hastck_3se_3850_cg/b_hastck_3se_3850_cg_chapter_010.html#con_1228109

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

There should be a standby switch though , so if the active fails he instantly becomes the active master for the stack

from the docs
A switch stack always has one active switch and one standby switch. If the active switch becomes unavailable, the standby switch assumes the role of the active switch, and continues to the keep the stack operational.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3850/software/release/3se/ha_stack_manager/configuration_guide/b_hastck_3se_3850_cg/b_hastck_3se_3850_cg_chapter_010.html#con_1228109

That's interesting. I don't see the same thing on my stacks of 3750 switches, so I panicked. Thanks.

akumarka
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee
its normal, in stack environment every stack will have active and standby switch.

if u dont want new switch to be standby and want it to be member . reload stack as per priority configured switch 2 will be master and switch 4 will be standby after reload.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card