Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can't telnet to switches

Hi Group,

I'm having problems connecting to several switches on my network. We have four Catalyst 3560s:

switch1==10.255.100.1

switch2==10.255.100.2

switch3==10.255.100.3

switch4==10.255.100.4

Our network info: 10.10.100.x

The top switch is a Gigabit switch and most of our servers are plugged into it. The other three have workstations, printers, etc plugged into them. Switch2 has two gig ports and the others have four. Currently, they are all connected daisy-chain style and are will we be connecting them in a mesh with the fiber cables. The problem: I can telnet to switch2 directly, but cannot telnet to the other three directly. I can telnet to the others once I am connected to switch2. Not sure why this is, though, I think it has to do with how the switches are physically linked.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Chris

6 Replies 6

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Chris

I am a little bit puzzled. You describe your network as being 10.10.100.x. But the addresses that you give for the switches are 10.100.255.x. Can you clarify the difference?

You tell us that they are 3560s but you do not tell us whether they have routing enabled and are operating as layer 3 switches or whether they are operating only as layer 2 switches. You also do not tell us whether there is a single VLAN configured or whether there are multiple VLANs configured.

If you can help us understand these things we may be able to help you understand your issue.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Rick,

Thanks for the quick response. I'm pretty new to switching....sorry I don't have all the i's dotted.

The addresses for the switches are 10.255.100.x, so they are in the same network.

We do have a couple vlans: vlan10 (data) and vlan172 (voice). Each switch also have a management interface setup:

Switch1...

interface vlan1

ip address 10.255.100.1 255.255.255.0

switch2...

interface vlan1

ip address 10.255.100.2 255.255.255.0

etc...

We have VTP configured, with switch2 set as the server, and the others set as clients. I do think the switches are setup as layer 3, but honestly, don't know how to tell (or how to configure a switch as a layer 3 switch...).

Hope this gives you the info you need...

Chris

Chris

On each of the switches can you run

1) "sh ip route"

2) "sh ip int br"

Jon

jcoke
Level 3
Level 3

Sounds like the other switches don't have a default route. Do a:

"sh running config | inc ip default|ip route"

I suggest do traceroute and show ip ro switch_ip_adress.

Waiting for your feedback.

That was it...no gateway set. Thanks everybody!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: