cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

can u help, my book says answer is a I think it's b

sshishi1234
Level 1
Level 1

?An Ethernet frame arrives at switch SW1, entering on port F0/1. F0/1 does not trunk. SW1 forwards the frame out F0/2. Which of the following statements is true about the logic SW1 uses when forwarding the frame?
a. Forward based on MAC table entries for the F0/1?s access VLAN
b. Forward based on MAC table entries for the F0/2?s access VLAN
c. Forward based on MAC table entries for the F0/1?s native VLAN
d. Forward based on MAC table entries in all VLANs?

Excerpt From: Odom, Wendell. ?CCNA ICND2 200-101 Official Cert Guide.? Cisco Press, 2013. iBooks.
This material may be protected by copyright.

Check out this book on the iBooks Store: https://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewBook?id=631319742
Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Sandeep Choudhary
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Sinead,

Normally switch forwards process consider entries in mAC table for one VLAN only, means the inbond interface

and for an access interface, that VLAN is the access VLAN assigned to the inbound interface(This is not a trunk port). The VLAN is never determined by the outbound interface (F0/2 here). The native VLAN could not matter because the inbound interface is not a trunk.

So my answer should be :

A: Forward based on MAC table entries for the F0/1’s access VLAN

Hope it helps.

Regards

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Wilson Bonilla
Level 3
Level 3

Hi Sinead.

Switch does learning, flooding, filtering, forwarding and aging.

When talking about forwarding, the switch perform a look up based on mac address. the mac address table contains mac-address and port association where the mac addrerss was learnt.

If the switches finds the destination mac address in the mac address table, it will check what is the switchport associated with it and forwarded though.

I guess the answer is b... xD ...

Regards.

Wilson B.

Thanks guys for replays, I think the two other answers are like I thought but based on Sandeep.... Answer , I see answer a is correct as based on the vlan and not on basic switch forwarding if no Vlans had been configured

Sorry but I'm back again! Still unsure ! A or B, I am again going on b as the frame must have a common vlan with fa02 and so the frame is forwarded out fa 02 ..

A switch get frame on int fa01, if it doesn't know where to send it it floods the frame, but by checking MAC address table it find sentry for same vlan as is in frame destination ... That entry has a int fa02 so frame is forwarded out that interface

Sandeep Choudhary
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Sinead,

Normally switch forwards process consider entries in mAC table for one VLAN only, means the inbond interface

and for an access interface, that VLAN is the access VLAN assigned to the inbound interface(This is not a trunk port). The VLAN is never determined by the outbound interface (F0/2 here). The native VLAN could not matter because the inbound interface is not a trunk.

So my answer should be :

A: Forward based on MAC table entries for the F0/1’s access VLAN

Hope it helps.

Regards

Dennis Mink
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Gotta be b. as a makes no sense, because there is no point looking up the ingress port as it just arrived on that port, d is rubbish as it would allow L2 inter vlan switching, which goes against everything VLANs stand for, answer c is just put in there to make 4 options, as Fa0/1 is not a trunk.

example of a mac table entry:

911    0024.142d.57fd    DYNAMIC     Gi2/0/20

which has VLAN and known port

=============================
Please remember to rate useful posts, by clicking on the stars below.

=============================

Please remember to rate useful posts, by clicking on the stars below.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card