cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can you apply dampening to metro ethernet interface?

hxmengmetro
Level 1
Level 1

All,

We have metroethernet from ISP. So it is setup in the router like fa 0/0.100. In order to solve the interface flapping issue, I think we can apply the dampening to interface. But based on the dampening decription, it can't be applied to any subinterface. So should I just apply it to the physical fa 0/0 interface? When the interface is flapping, I think the fa 0/0 should go down for sure. It shouldn't have like fa 0/0 is up but fa0/0.100 down situation when ISP circuit is flapping, right? If so, the dampening can just be applied to physical interface then.

Thanks.

Lou

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Mohamed Sobair
Level 7
Level 7

You Metro Ethernet WAN Link will remain in UP state even if the Provider is Down, So dampening will not be an option here.

if you are dual homed or have multiple connection to the same or different Service providers, then your best option is to implement IP-SLA.

Regards,

Mohamed

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Mohamed Sobair
Level 7
Level 7

You Metro Ethernet WAN Link will remain in UP state even if the Provider is Down, So dampening will not be an option here.

if you are dual homed or have multiple connection to the same or different Service providers, then your best option is to implement IP-SLA.

Regards,

Mohamed

Thanks Mohamed. So you mean we use EEM with IP SLA to deploy a similar solution like dampening, is that correct?

Lou

Mohamed Sobair
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Lou,

Correct.

Regards,

Mohamed

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card