cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Can you change a serial port to an ethernet port on a Cisco 2911?

jbaussskg
Level 1
Level 1

We are switching from a T1 line to a 20 Mbps line and were told by our ISP that the Cisco 2911 was compatible.  Is it possible to switch the port from serial to ethernet?

If so, how is this done.  Thank you.

16 Replies 16

luckymike33
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

You should be able to change the HWIC module to a module containing an ethernet  port, I have included the link listing the modules available.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/routers/2900-series-integrated-services-routers-isr/relevant-interfaces-and-modules.html#primod

Very best wishes

Mike

Thank you for responding.  This is what I have:

--More--          WIC Slot 0:
 --More--          HWIC CSU/DSU WAN daughter card
 --More--          Hardware Revision        : 1.0
 --More--          Top Assy. Part Number    : 800-28804-01
 --More--          Board Revision           : C0
 --More--          Fab Version              : 02
 --More--          Deviation Number         : 0
 --More--          PCB Serial Number        : FOC14387N99
 --More--          RMA Test History         : 00
 --More--          RMA Number               : 0-0-0-0
 --More--          RMA History              : 00
 --More--          Fab Part Number          : 28-8143-02
 --More--          Product (FRU) Number     : HWIC-1DSU-T1

Not sure which one on the list I would need.  Just ethernet for a 20Mbps line.

You would need something like this:

EHWIC-1GE-SFP-CU or HWIC-2FE

Again - are you using all of yours integrated 3 Gb ports???

BR,

Dragan

HTH,
Dragan

I am only using 1 of the 3 Gb ports.  Could one of those be used instead?  Thanks.

YES smiley

BR,

Dragan

HTH,
Dragan

I need to program one of those ports with the same information that is on my T1 port.  Can that be done easily?  Do you know where I can find information to do this?  Thank you so much

Basically I think you only need to setup IP address on interface and put ethernet cable from ISP into your router. I don't know specific info about your setup so can't comment more (maybe you receive specific VLAN tag from your ISP on L2 etc). Other specific options (ACL, QoS etc) need to be configured pretty much same way as already...if you even have something like that already configured.

BR,

Dragan

HTH,
Dragan

I'm going to try this on my own first.  I know I can get into the T1 configuration and makes changes.  I'll try to just set it up the same way.   Thanks.

Great...that's the right approach!

BR,

Dragan

HTH,
Dragan

One more quick question.  Can I configure that port with the same IP as the T1 as long as there is nothing plugged into it?

I think that IOS is not going to allow you to do that...there will be a warning that subnet already exists...

So find some other way implement that...

BR,

Dragan

HTH,
Dragan

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Some Cisco devices will allow that if the other interface is admin down, i.e. shut.

Or give me your current config of T1 so can take a look...

Dragan

HTH,
Dragan

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Are all your built-in (3) Ethernet ports used?  If not, you can use one of them.

Otherwise as Mike posted, you can use the Cisco Enhanced High-Speed WAN Interface Card (EHWIC).  Your 2911 should have four such slots, so you can either swap with your module card supporting the T1 or use a different/unused slot.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card